VMware Communities
focaccio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Workstation 12.0.0 install fails on Ubuntu 16.04 Linux (4.4.0-28-generic) [failed vmmon service; vmware kernel module updater]

Hi Guys,

I'm truly excited to get going with VMware Workstation on a fresh Ubuntu install (16.04).  Planning to look at GNS3 VMs and Vagrant integration for Docker VMs among other things.  Since both vmware workstation and ubuntu/linux are mature products, I really expected that I would not have any issue with the install.

I was a bit dismayed when the install of Workstation 12 failed on a fresh install of 16.04.  It seems that the step of VMware Kernel Module Updater and specifically Virtual Machine Monitor is the problem.

Can someone help with the steps necessary for a successful install of Workstation 12 on Ubuntu 16.04 please?

Details of my attempt and some cursory troubleshooting to follow.

Please help, Thanks!

Greg

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Hi there 😃

Just for brevity, the 'Monitor' is actually what we call the hypervisor itself. We call LCD screens 'displays'.

So it's probably a kernel module incompatibility that just so happens to be around the GPU, but it could have been any kernel module.

Thanks for sharing your success!

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF

View solution in original post

4 Replies
focaccio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

"Virtual Machine Monitor"

The "Monitor" in that could be (is?) in reference to the actual Display Monitor, not a kind of performance monitoring as I had thought.

So, this may be a graphics card driver issue.  There is some indication that kubuntu (which I'm running) 16.04 has broken Device Manager for managing drivers.  Currently operating with GF108 GeForce GT630

Updates to follow.

Thanks

0 Kudos
focaccio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Great News! VMware Workstation 12 is working on Ubuntu 16.04 now!

Changed several things so will be hard to know what the problem was, but very happy to have it working.

What I changed:

1. Installed new graphics card: EVGA GEFORCE GT 730 (previously was Zotac GT630)

2. Installed Ubuntu desktop (previously was kubuntu)

3. Installed 12.1.1 (previously was 12.0.0)

I do want to use kubuntu, so going to install again with kubuntu desktop to see if that breaks things.

BTW on this install it completed without showing any indication a vmware kernel module updater was running.

Greg

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Hi there 😃

Just for brevity, the 'Monitor' is actually what we call the hypervisor itself. We call LCD screens 'displays'.

So it's probably a kernel module incompatibility that just so happens to be around the GPU, but it could have been any kernel module.

Thanks for sharing your success!

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
focaccio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the insight Mike,

You must be correct with this statement:

"kernel module incompatibility that just so happens to be around the GPU,"

After installing the new video card GT730 I was able successfully install Workstation 12 on Kubuntu 16.04!!  So happy, I really favor Kubuntu desktop (I overlay it on a server install).  Just like the successful install on Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop, no windows came up indicating a vmware kernel module updater was running! Sweet!

Google searchers note:

If you encounter a VMware Workstation install problem related to VMware Kernel Module Updater and specifically Virtual Machine Monitor, try using a newer (better) video card [different GPU].  It worked for me!!!data - ihsx - vmware workstation pro 12 on kubuntu 16_04.jpg

0 Kudos