VMware Communities
PJN
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Workstation 14 - Cannot create a VM - Destination file system does not support large files

Hi, I've just had Workstation 14 installed and now I can't create any new VMs.  I get the error "The destination file system does not support large files." - I'm selecting the option to split the virtual disk into multiple files, as I normally do.  The host is running Windows 7 with NTFS, and I'm quite happily holding 5GB ISOs in the same folder structure that I'm trying to create the VM on, I've also got plenty of free disk space (approx. 55GB).

I used to have a similar problem on Workstation 10 - I could create the VM but I had to edit the .vmx file before running it to add the line: diskLib.sparseMaxFileSizeCheck= "FALSE", otherwise it would moan about files being too large.  Now I can't even create the VM in the first place.  I was kinda hoping that WS14 would've fixed it, instead it's made it a whole lot worse.

Any ideas please?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
PJN
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

So, I've created a VM on another machine as an empty (OS not installed) VM.  I've copied that back onto the machine I'm having problems with, and lo and behold it runs and installs the OS without moaning about large files!!??!!

I've tried to create another VM, just in case something has magically clicked into place, but no, creating a VM still moans about large files...

0 Kudos