VMware Communities
jeffdgr8
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 7 guest not receiving IP on wireless host

I recently installed VMware Workstation 7 and on the 2 systems that are wirelessly connected to the network I am unable to get an IP address on the guest systems. When I look at the router device IPs I notice that the DHCP is assigning a lot of IPs to the MAC address of the host system. For some reason these IPs are not being routed correctly to the guest. On the systems that have wired network access on the host I'm not having this issue.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
jeffdgr8
Contributor
Contributor

Is anyone else having this issue? I have uninstalled VMware Workstation and installed the latest version of VMware Server and it is doing the same thing! I can get an internet connection through a NAT network adapter, but I need to expose my VM to the network with its own IP. I did not have this problem with Workstation 6.5.

0 Kudos
Reaperhk
Contributor
Contributor

I can get the IP address from my wireless host. The setting i am using is bridge mode.

0 Kudos
jeffdgr8
Contributor
Contributor

Any suggestions on how I can troubleshoot the issue to see what is causing the problem?

0 Kudos
Reaperhk
Contributor
Contributor

What is your DHCP server setting? Is it only accept some "MAC" address only?

Try to run the wireshark to see if the DHCP message is pass through

0 Kudos
jeffdgr8
Contributor
Contributor

My router does not have any special DHCP settings other than some static DHCP assignments, but any MAC not on the static list is assigned a standard IP within a normal range. No other clients have problem receiving an IP normally. Also, MAC filtering is not enabled and shouldn't be blocking any clients. Also, assigning a static IP on the VM still does not allow proper internet access. It's clear from the fact that the router's DHCP server is continuously assigning IPs to the host's MAC address that there is some problem with VMware translating the client's network calls properly.

0 Kudos
jeffdgr8
Contributor
Contributor

I found the culprit! It's Kaspersky Internet Security. Turns out this is the common thread between my two systems that won't connect on the bridged network (it just so happens they are also both the two systems connected wirelessly). One of the systems was running KIS 2009 and the other 2010. It doesn't help to disable protection or even exit the program. As long as it's installed it causes this issue. I guess I need to take this issue over to Kaspersky's forums, unless someone has any idea how to keep Kaspersky installed and get bridged networking to work still. Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
jeffdgr8
Contributor
Contributor

Here's the link to my topic on the Kaspersky forum: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=143556.

0 Kudos
Reaperhk
Contributor
Contributor

it is funny. I am also using KIS 2010, but i don't have the problem

0 Kudos
jeffdgr8
Contributor
Contributor

@Reaperhk: What OS are you running? What settings have you changed from their defaults? Are you running the latest build (9.0.0.736)?

0 Kudos
Reaperhk
Contributor
Contributor

Vista Business SP 1.

Yes, the latest workstation 7. I just download from the VMWare website yesteraday.

0 Kudos
jeffdgr8
Contributor
Contributor

x86 or x64?

0 Kudos
Reaperhk
Contributor
Contributor

x86.

And also.. when you choose the bridge, have you also checked the box under it ?

0 Kudos
jeffdgr8
Contributor
Contributor

I'm running x64, both Vista and Windows 7 where I'm having the problem. That may be the difference. I'm not sure what box you're referring to.

0 Kudos
steveaz
Contributor
Contributor

I think they are referring to the "replicate physical network connection state" box.

I unfortnuately have the same issue... Windows 7, McAfee, 64bit. It's odd because the same VM worked fine a week ago, yet not now. Though there have been no updates and system changes I'm aware of.

What I found is that VMware started using a network adapter connected to my system that is used for a IP based security camera system that leverages my PC as a DVR. Going into the virtual network editor I was able to set the selection to a static adapter rather than automatic and things are fine now.

Hope this helps someone...

0 Kudos