VMware Communities
nicknick923
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Workstation MKS/Shared VM issues

So i recently found a problem that i am wondering if it is just me or what.

The Problem:

I am unable to remotely connect to a shared Virtual Machine hosted on VMWKS Pro 12.1.0

I have port forwarded all the ports, and i know for a fact that i have all needed ports forwarded, because i found a way to make it work only once.

How to recreate:

1) install WKS pro 12.1.0 on two computers on different networks

2) check for updates and install them on both WKSs, ***BUT DO NOT RESTART***

3) on the server WKS, the one hosting the shared vm, enable sharing by clicking edit->preferences->shared VM's-> (possibly change settings->) Enable sharing

You can share on what ever port you would like, so long as you remember to port forward it to the internet.

4) still on server WKS, create a vm of any kind, any os, anything, and once set up how you want, right click it, then click manage, then share it.  You can share it however you want, make a copy or don't, it doesn't really make a difference.

5) on the client WKS, connect to the remote server.  if you used a port other that the standard 443, then you will need to specify the server name as (IP/URL):(Port Number)

6) you will be able to connect just fine.

7) restart the server WKS's computer.

Anything you try after restarting the server's computer will  not allow you to remotely connect,

You will always get the following error:

Unable to connect to the MKS: login (username/password) incorrect

How do I fix this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
xindayu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@nicknick923nicknick923

I failed to reproduce the issue by your steps.

However, there may be some steps that may help,

Would you please try the below steps?

1. On the server Workstation(Which shares VMs), check the TCP port listening status by the below commands:

Run as administrator in CMD.

"netstat -anb -p tcp"

Then check whether there is a line like "TCP     0.0.0.0:903     0.0.0.0     LISTENING     [vmware-authd.exe]"

The port may be 902 or 903 or 904...

2. Open the config file in %programdata%\VMware\VMware Workstation\config.ini,

Check the line like "authd.client.port = "903""

3. The config file port and the real listening port should be the same, if they are not same, then you may encounter the issue : "Unable to connect to the MKS: login (username/password) incorrect"

4. Change the line "authd.client.port:" to the real listening port you get in the step 1 in config file.

Try to connect to the share VM server again.

Does it work for you?

Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
xindayu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi nicknick923,

I have a question when trying to reproduce your problem:

In the step "2) check for updates and install them on both WKSs, ***BUT DO NOT RESTART***"

Is there any update available prompted when you already have Workstation Pro 12.1.0 installed on your host?

I got nothing prompt to update and install.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
nicknick923
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

xindayu

I'm not sure.  My installer that i have is for 12.0, but i would assume that if you have an installer for 12.1, then just install as normal, but don't restart.  I very greatly appreciate the help you are trying to provide.  It does mean a lot!!!

0 Kudos
xindayu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@nicknick923nicknick923

I failed to reproduce the issue by your steps.

However, there may be some steps that may help,

Would you please try the below steps?

1. On the server Workstation(Which shares VMs), check the TCP port listening status by the below commands:

Run as administrator in CMD.

"netstat -anb -p tcp"

Then check whether there is a line like "TCP     0.0.0.0:903     0.0.0.0     LISTENING     [vmware-authd.exe]"

The port may be 902 or 903 or 904...

2. Open the config file in %programdata%\VMware\VMware Workstation\config.ini,

Check the line like "authd.client.port = "903""

3. The config file port and the real listening port should be the same, if they are not same, then you may encounter the issue : "Unable to connect to the MKS: login (username/password) incorrect"

4. Change the line "authd.client.port:" to the real listening port you get in the step 1 in config file.

Try to connect to the share VM server again.

Does it work for you?

Thanks!

nicknick923
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

sweet mother pearl you are a genious!!!!!   THANK YOU SO MUCH.  SO many headaches will now be avoided by this solution!!!!

seriously, thank you.

0 Kudos
GingkoBiloba
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

I got this problem too, and I succeeded to fixed it by modifying the %programdata%\VMware\VMware Workstation\config.ini file.

Thank you very much.

I'm just wondering why this setting has ever been wrong?

Isn't it expected to be set correctly by the regular VMWare Workstation setup file?

I don't remember having made anything which could have changed this value…

Regards,

Gingko

0 Kudos