VMware Communities
stefanobiggi
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation Pro 16.2.0 freeze on 30 minutes

I have installed this morning the new version but using a virtual machine (windows 10 pro with DELPHI RAD STUDIO) it freeze after 20/30 minutes. After it's impossible to do anything. The only way is to restart the PC and loose my work.

This evening i reinstall the old version. This version is unusable.

47 Replies
versat
Contributor
Contributor

Sounds exactly like my issue. I can not quit the guest, it says the guest is "busy", but it can not be busy for hours. There should be a way to kill it then, it is not possible to simply reset it or so.

I have also already opened a support ticket and attached two memory dumps caused by illegal memory access of VMWare.

Looks like 16.2 is not usable, hope they fix it soon.

stefanobiggi
Contributor
Contributor

The same problem in 16.2.1. I hope the problem was solved !!

I use VMWARE for development but the risk of losing the work done is too high!

I cannot use this product as long as there are these problems.

The only way is go to HyperV.

stefanobiggi
Contributor
Contributor

I am very angry.

I bought a product that doesn't work and that forces me to constantly waste time. He asked me to upgrade the virtual machines and now I can't go back to version 16.1. It is disgraceful that a paid (not cheap) product is absolutely non-functional. 

Also, the fact that there is NO assistance for YOUR MALFUNCTIONS is shameful.

If this is the quality of VMWARE products I will NEVER use VMWARE products AGAIN and I will advise against them to all my customers.

bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

You should be able download the 16.1.2 version. The first link is for Windows hosts and the second is for Linux hosts.

https://customerconnect.vmware.com/downloads/details?downloadGroup=WKST-1612-WIN&productId=1038&rPId...

https://customerconnect.vmware.com/downloads/details?downloadGroup=WKST-1612-LX&productId=1038&rPId=...

As for the virtual hardware version, with Workstation Pro, you should be able to change it through the VM menu -> Manage -> Change hardware compatibility. Do it BEFORE you roll back to the 16.1.2 installation.

stefanobiggi
Contributor
Contributor

These problems remained even on version 16.2.1.

bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

The links are for 16.1.2 - the minor version BEFORE the mess of 16.2.0 and 16.2.1.

Try to go to 16.1.2 and make sure the VM compatibility is set to Workstation 16.x instead of Workstation 16.2.x. BEFORE uninstalling the 16.2.1 version. And then install 16.1.2.

If you want to be extra cautious, take a backup of the VM(s) before changing the hardware compatibility.

0 Kudos
Ilenia1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Same problem for me, with RAD STUDIO, after 5/10 minuts, the VM freeze and the only solution is kill the process.

Impossible to use, but i'm a little more lucky, because i tried VMWare with 30 days free !!

Regards

Ilenia1
Contributor
Contributor

Con la 16.1.1 mi funzionava correttamente, ora non più !!

0 Kudos
MalDong
Contributor
Contributor

The same symptoms of the VM used at work have been resolved as follows.
Conclusion: Change 16.2 to 16.x in VM->Manager->change hadware...

I was running a VM on a windows 11 host and had the same symptoms, so I upgraded the guest OS to windows 11. However, there was a pause between 10 minutes and an hour.

After touching this and that, I changed 16.2 to 16.x in VM->Manager->change hadware... and developed with DELPHI RAD STUDIO without any problem for a day.

0 Kudos
MalDong
Contributor
Contributor

It froze after 2 days.

0 Kudos
szplaypiano
Contributor
Contributor

16.2.1, windows 11 enterprise last version as 20211228, windows 11 enterprise guest last version as 20211228

guest freezes randomly despite any effort: change hardware version, disable graphic acceleration

VMWare, please, resolve ASAP.

Thank you

Tipman
Contributor
Contributor

My 16.2.2 also freezes. Sometimes it goes few minutes, some times it goes few hours between. But many times a day.

It relates to my mouse when it freezes. I have to restart the host and delete vmware.log file. Then I can start guest again. 

I will try to downgrade to 16.1.2.

Tipman
Contributor
Contributor

I thought I had fixed the problem but then it started to freeze again.

0 Kudos
MalDong
Contributor
Contributor

VM hangs on all versions of 16.2.X on windows 11.
Reverted to version 16.1.2 and is in use.

Tipman
Contributor
Contributor

I agree, I did the same. I only run on Win10, but is the same.

0 Kudos
versat
Contributor
Contributor

Now the issue is known to VMWare for several months and there is no solution in sight.

Either they really are not able to solve that issue or they are not taking it serious. I am not sure what is "better".

I am working for a really huge company. My PC is one of the few standard PCs that is used here, so we have thousands and thousands of them in use. The response from VMWare regarding this was: "It's not a universal bug that anyone who is running VMware Workstation 16.2.X is running into issue, it's with certain system running certain processors running into the issue."

So they don't care if there is a bug that is hitting a huge company on thousands of PCs. I am really disappointed.

szplaypiano
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare, i think it is time to resolve the problem!

"It's not a universal bug that anyone who is running VMware Workstation 16.2.X is running into issue, it's with certain system running certain processors running into the issue."

What? None of my pcs works with this version, i pay for maintenance so i expect that problems are resolved. 

I am really disappointed too.

szplaypiano
Contributor
Contributor

16.2.2 just installed has the same problem.

This is incredible... vmware please do something to resolve this problem

jf12345
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem for me too! Running 16.2.1 on Linux. Works for about 30 minutes and then all my VMs start to lock up. The only fix is to shut down the VMs and reboot.