VMware Communities
stefanobiggi
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation Pro 16.2.0 freeze on 30 minutes

I have installed this morning the new version but using a virtual machine (windows 10 pro with DELPHI RAD STUDIO) it freeze after 20/30 minutes. After it's impossible to do anything. The only way is to restart the PC and loose my work.

This evening i reinstall the old version. This version is unusable.

47 Replies
pnakashian
Contributor
Contributor

my vwmare files are not stored in onedrive.    but that does give me an idea.   I am using Shared Folders feature in VMWARE settings,  maybe after vmware is suspended that shared folder is causing an issue.    I changed folder sharing from   Always Enabled , to   Enabled until next power off or suspend.

other things i can't do much about,  my work computer does have "HP Sure Click", "MCafee Antivirus", and even "microsoft defender".  i am blocked out of those apps  to  exclude vmware folders, and the shared folder.

0 Kudos
pnakashian
Contributor
Contributor

my experiment did have better vmware behavior but  I had to completely disable  "shared folder"  and  remove my  auto mount in /etc/fstab to prevent the vmware guest ubuntu from freezing up  sometimes 5minutes.   now i just see these  message in vmware

kernel:[100586.295014] watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#5 stuck for 117s!"   various processes affected with different times.

It could be the soft lockups exasperate the shared folder into the long freezes.

to help with soft lockups, in my searches i found 1 result mentioning to change  preferences->memory->additional memory

and change to  "Allow most virtual machine memory to be swapped"   i had it in "Allow some"

if that doesn't work, I'll try shutting down the vmware guest and exiting workstation, to see if the soft lockups occur on fresh restart on.

0 Kudos
Pb_vista
Contributor
Contributor

Bonjour,

pour ma part j'avais le pb de freeze de toutes mes vm vmware workstation 16.2.4

les vm etait sur mon Onedrive

après les avoir déplacées hors de mon espace Onedrive le pb a été résolu

0 Kudos
akremayadi
Contributor
Contributor

H, I have the same issue on 16.x and 16.2

I am running ubuntu on my vmware and recently it freeze many times a day ( up to 15 times ) which disable me to finish my tasks.

The solution to unfreeze the VM is to do a pause and resume it ( not on all the case, sometimes you need to restart it )

I moved to 15.x to test 

0 Kudos
mimixiku_jp
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone

I'd like to share what I did.

I'm running vmware on Windows10 host. I met GuestOS freezing on 16.x, then I tried 15.x. No change.

Then I tried 14.x, and get error dialog like what in the following link. What I found is that VMware not compatible with Hyper-V.

I did as said in this link. And finally it worked. And then I tried to upgrade to 16.x. It still work well.

"VMware Workstation and Device/Credential Guard are not compatible" error in VMware Workstation on W...

Hope this will help you!

Regards.

0 Kudos
ntdoc
Contributor
Contributor

I'm on Windows 11 Pro x64 and I upgraded to VMware Workstation 17 to try and correct a crashing and slow issue. The crashing stopped but the slow did not stop. Based on reading what mimixiku_jp said followed that article but also set my Hardware Compatibility back to version 14.x as I really didn't need the new features for the Windows 10 host. The video dropped back to 2 GB but so far no issues there either.

1:   bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
2:  Disabled via gpedit.    Turn On Virtualization Security

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2146361

Restarted the computer and relaunched the Windows 10 host and what a difference. No more hangs, freezing, or stuttering for me.

Thank you for the idea mimixiku_jp

0 Kudos
anders_o
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi. I'm having the same problems, but I can't turn off the Hyper-V features, since we use them for (corporate mandatory) security features. However, I think I've managed to get some promising results by "stealing" some vmx settings from my VCSA that is also running in Workstation and is not freezing.

Check out my post in the other thread at https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/VMWare-Workstation-16-Pro-Ubuntu-22-04-1-VM...

0 Kudos
Wilfried0810
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation Pro 16.2.3 freezes EVERY 30 minutes for 1 minute, then screen flickering afterwards it is ok again

Cannot find any schedule job, cannot find anything in event-logs

Host WIN10 22H2 

Guest WIN10 22H2 (VMWare 12 machine)

This occurs since a few months, maybe since Win10 22H1 on Host.

0 Kudos