VMware Communities
ppvm
Contributor
Contributor

(how to?) Create a virtual machine using a True Image backup file

I use VMWare Workstation 6.5.1 build 126130 on a machine running Windows XP SP3. I managed to create and operate virtual machines from scratch using an operating system.

What I want to do now is make a backup of an existing physical machine and restore it as a virtual machine. You have to understand that I have a collection of backup files coming from different computers (all running Windows XP), and I do NOT have VMware installed on all these machines. I just want to use the backup files to create virtual machines on the computer where VMWare is installed. To make a backup, I use alternatively Acronis True Image Echo Workstation or Acronis True Image Home 2009. Backups are *.tib files. I tried 2 ways to create the virtual machine using this .tib file, but both ways fail. Could someone tell me the proper way to do this?

1/ In VMWare Workstation: File > Open > Filetype: .tib (this appears in the list of supported file types in VMWare). I then select the backup file. I get an error message reading "Failed to query source for information." with just one OK button. It seems the.tib backup file is not recognized. Strange.

2/ In Acronis True Image Echo Workstation , I use the tool called "Convert Backup to Virtual Disk". I selected the backup file (*.tib), choose "VMware" for the destination virtual disk type. After 10 minutes of processing, this creates a *.vmdk file. So everything seems to work fine. But my problem is: "How to open this *.vmdk file in VMware Workstation?". I tried File > Open or File > Import, but the *.vmdk extension never appears in the list of supported file types. What I am doing wrong here? Isn't there a way to open *.vmdk files in VMWare Workstation?

It is very weird that these 2 straight forward methods do not work. Could someone point me to the right procedure? Once again, I am trying to create a new virtual machine based on a *.tib backup image created by Acronis software.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

If you have a virtual disk already, then most of the work is done!

Create a new virtual machine. When the wizard reaches the hard disk portion, select "use existing" and point it to the xxx.vmdk file your backup software created.

tundraman2006
Contributor
Contributor

Forget Acronis. I tried that already.

Download Symantec Backup Exec and take the image.

Then within the software perform a conversion to VMDK file and there you go.

If my memory is correct you should be able use the image file from Symantec backup without converting.

Let me know how it works out.

0 Kudos
ppvm
Contributor
Contributor

RDPetruska, thanks for the hint, but I do not get it. In VMWare Workstation, I tried:

File > New > Virtual Machine > Typical.

Next step in the wizard, it asks me to specify the Guest Operating System Installation. It will take just an ISO of an installer disc image. Even if I specify "I will install the operating system later", there is no place to select "use existing" in the following steps as you suggest.

Could you be more specific in your explanation please? Are you using VMWare Workstation to do this?

0 Kudos
ppvm
Contributor
Contributor

tundraman2006, thanks for your answer. My problem is not how to generate a proper VMDK file (which I succeed with Acronis), but what to do with the VMDK file. I cannot find a way to open / import this file format into VMWare Workstation software.

I am familiar with Acronis and not Symantec Backup Exec. So I would like first to give it a try with the VMDK file generated by Acronis. Is this file really has a problem, then I will look into your suggestion of using a different backup tool.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Use Custom, not Typical.

0 Kudos
tundraman2006
Contributor
Contributor

Do you have the option to either create a new disk or use an existing disk.. if you do go ahead and choose existing disk.

If that dont work you should try the symantec backup exec for servers.

I have come across this issue with acronis where it will convert the image howeverit will not work properly as in your case.

I have tried it also in microsoft hyper v with acronis and experienced similar issues.

Then I made the switch to symantec backup exec and it worked perfectly.

Also you should try VMserver which is free and works the same way.

Let me know...

0 Kudos
ppvm
Contributor
Contributor

To RDPetruska -> thanks, I could find the "use existing" option by selecting "Custom". I eventually managed to make the new virtual machine, and got Windows to start. There were a few glitches, but it seems to work.

To tundraman2006 -> I looked at Symantech homepage, but could not understand which product I should download:

- Backup Exec for Windows Servers

- Backup Exec for Windows Small Business Server

- Backup Exec System Recovery Server Edition

Why is this better than Acronis products (I am used to Acronis and lazy to switch, unless there is a good reason to do so).

Also, you mention "VMserver which is free and works the same way". The same way as what? As VM Workstation? What should I try VMserver for?

0 Kudos
tundraman2006
Contributor
Contributor

Backup Exec System Recovery Server Edition.

I find that this software works alot better in this situation than Acronis.

For the issues that you were having I found that symantec worked better.

0 Kudos
netbloke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You have the disk image. I presume you have a bootable disk or CD with Acronis on it. You created a virtual machine. When the machine is created it has no operating system, but you specified the disk size.

Now start the VM with the bootable disk, and then use Acronis to restore your image onto the VM disk.

Where is the image? It could be on a USB drive, or it could be on the host HDD. If it's on the host, then direct hard disk access is possible via Edit VM Settings > Add Hard Disk > Physical disk > Use partitions, or whatever works for you. Note that this is to give you a second disk as a source for your image. Once the image is restored, remove the physical disk from the VM configuration.

I used this method to restore ghost images to a brand new VM using Hiren's boot CD. The concept is the same for Acronis I imagine - Acronis in on Hiren's after all. I just don't use it for the same reasons that you do.