moving the mouse over the edge is working for XP guest but not for Linux

Hi all,

My setup:

VMvare Workstation 6.5.2

Host: Ubuntu 8.10

Guest n.1: Windows XP

Guest n.2: Debian 5.0, Gnome

Both have the latest version of the vmware tools installed

With Windows XP guest, moving the mouse over the window border takes the pointer back to the host OS.

With Debian, I can't manage to do it and need to use the ctlaltshift key combination

Restarting the tools with the init script gives no errors, and ps ax|grep vmware reports

4303 ? Ss 0:00 /usr/lib/vmware-tools/sbin32/vmware-guestd --background /var/run/vmware-guestd.pid

So it seems that the tools are properly running

This virtual machine has been setup from scratch a couple of days ago, so no stale files/configurations or upgrade problems.

Can somebody give me some hint?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The auto grab and ungrab is done with the vmware mouse driver.

It would seem based on your disscription that your xorg.conf file is not configured to use vmmouse or the vmmouse drive is not install or installed in the wrong directory for your configuration.

Post xorg.conf file

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The auto grab and ungrab is done with the vmware mouse driver.

It would seem based on your disscription that your xorg.conf file is not configured to use vmmouse or the vmmouse drive is not install or installed in the wrong directory for your configuration.

Post xorg.conf file

0 Kudos
claudiot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You' re right Smiley Happy

The InputDevice section in xorg.conf was correct, and /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/vmmouse_drv.so

is there . However, vmware-config-tools.pl tried to reconfigure and existing xorg.conf which missed the ServerLayout section, and the vmmouse is not used without that section. I removed the existing xorg.conf and had vmware-config-tools.pl create a new one with a proper ServerLayout section, and now the mouse works properly.

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos