VMware Communities
bostjanv
Contributor
Contributor

"Oh no! Something has gone wrong." message

Hello,

I am using Workstation 9 to run Linux, and I keep getting the above message on startup. I have been using VMware Workstation for some time, and I don't recall this happening earlier. Even though the workstation starts OK after performing a reset, this behavior is still bothersome. Does anybody know what is the matter, and whether I can get rid of it?

Regards,

bostjanv

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

It would help if you tell us who actually produces this message - is it a Linux-message or one that comes from the host ?

If it is a vmware message the vmware.log would be useful - you may want to attach it to your next post

0 Kudos
bostjanv
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your answer. I am attaching my latest log file. Regards, bostjanv

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi
you did not answer my questions so I have to guess reading the hints from the log.

My guess : you try to start a Debian 64 but either your hosts CPU does not have VT support at all - or you did not enable it in BIOS.

Option 2: you try to start a Debian 64 which runs another hypervisor inside the guest - Workstation, VirtualBOX, KVM ... whatever ... and you did not set the appropriate vmx-parameters

0 Kudos
bostjanv
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Sorry for not providing the information you requested. Actually, I'm not sure about the source of the message. The message consisted of a picture of a monitor, and the text I provided. After the message I selected the option to "reset the VM", so probably the virtual machine had already started.

However, some of your remarks puzzle me. Namely, you mention that I am starting up a Debian 64. Actually, the host OS is Windows 7 64-bit; but several times I got messages to the effect that my VM does not support 64 bit guest machines, and I assumed I am running a 32-bit guest. And before I installed VMware Workstation 9 I ran the free version of VMware software which also does not support 64 bit guests, and I recall receiving the message which is the subject of this discussion a couple of times.

Regards, bostjanv

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Bostjanv,

From the logs I noticed: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3720QM CPU @ 2.60GHz

The CPU itself should have VT Support as the page from intel here notes: ARK | Intel® Core™ i7-3720QM Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz)

It is likely that you still need to enable that feature in the BIOS.

See this document for more information: https://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8978

Good luck,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

What desktop are you running on the host or guest?.  The only time I have seen that exact wording is when GNOME won't start (typically a video problem).  Can you try a different desktop?  A good one to try is LXDE.  use $ sudo apt-get install lxde.  Reboot and there will be a control on the login screen to select an LXDE session. 

0 Kudos