VMware Communities
geohei
Contributor
Contributor

"VMware NAT Service" killing Firewall

Hi.

I have Sunbelt Personal Firewall 4.3.268 running on my WinXP SP2 system. After installing VMware 6 Workstation, I noticed that the firewall didn't start anymore during bootup of the system.

Digging further revealed that, during bootup, the "VMware NAT Service" stops the "Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall 4" service. Initially, the latter one starts, but seconds later, the "VMware NAT Service" stops it somehow again.

Is this problem known?

Any ideas how I can resolve this issue (other than uninstalling the firewall)?

Thanks,

null

0 Kudos
13 Replies
geohei
Contributor
Contributor

... later ...

1. Uninstalling VMware Workstation 6 makes the Sunbelt Kerio Firewall starting again.

2. I noticed that when VMware is uninstalled, booting up the system goes quite faster (about 1 minute!). Something might be "blocking" ?!?!

3. Disabling the firewall option "Enable Network Intrusion Prevention System (NIPS)" also makes the firewall start again properly.

4. Starting the firewall manually after system bootup is complete also works fine. Sunbelt Kerio personal Firewall starts and remains started!

Any ideas ... ?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
geohei
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.

It seems that the "VMware Authorization Service" takes ages to start (+1 minute) and due to this, the firewall gives up (if it is like that and why - no idea).

Can someone tell me what the "VMware Authorization Service" is for?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
rsa911
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

0 Kudos
geohei
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply, but I am logged in as admin. So I don't really see why this service takes #1 minute to start.

Can you confirm that this is normal?

If yes, why does it take soooo long?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
rsa911
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

if you're always logged on as admin, then disable the service and give it a try, if all the features you need to work are fine, leave it disabled...

it should not take over 1 min to start but then every single xp install is different..

on a clean install: XP installed from scratch, no manufacturer preload crap, drivers and vmware it all starts very fast...

if you have any firewall software, disable it to test

0 Kudos
geohei
Contributor
Contributor

if you're always logged on as admin, then disable the

service and give it a try, if all the features you

need to work are fine, leave it disabled...

Well ... VMware works fine if I but the VMware Authentification Service to Manual, yes ... and the firewall also starts but still, that's not the right way to do it. VMware should not be blocking a firewall (or making it stop).

it should not take over 1 min to start but then every

single xp install is different..

on a clean install: XP installed from scratch, no

manufacturer preload crap, drivers and vmware it all

starts very fast...

It's below 1 minute, not much, but it is.

if you have any firewall software, disable it to test

You want me to disable the firewall? This thread was about how I could manage to install VMware and boot the system without that VMware kills my firewall.

Strange ... am I the only one having these problems? I'm sure there are more users using third-party-firewalls (other than the WinXP built-in firewall).

Thanks,

0 Kudos
rsa911
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

>Well ... VMware works fine if I but the VMware Authentification Service >Manual, yes ... and the firewall also starts but still, that's not the right >way to do it. VMware should not be blocking a firewall (or making it stop).

don't you think VmWare can't test and validate every single combination of host o/s and firewalls ??

You have a workaround (disabling vm authd) that does not prevent you from using the product, I admit you would prefer VmWare to provide you some magic hotfix or something but that's a never ending story, next time sunbelt updates its software, chances are your symptoms will be back...

0 Kudos
geohei
Contributor
Contributor

Basically you are right. VMware cannot check every software for compatibility. Sure ... but what I didn't mention in the articles posted so far is, that NAV (Norton AntiVirus) and PGP (Pretty Good Privacy - encryption software) also waits until VMware Authentification Service is started.

Together with Sunbelt, that makes 3 software packages which uses services, which don't start until VMware is up and running. This concludes that there is most probably something wrong with the VMware code.

Anyway ... I found out during further tests that when disabling the Sunbelt's "Host Intrusion and Prevention System (HIPS)", the firewall starts properly. However I have no clue in how far HIPS is connected to VMware.

Here an excerpt from the HIPS documentation:

\---- cut here -

HIPS configuration

Parameters of the intrusion detection system can be set in the Intrusions section (see figure 1. The Intrusions section).

HIPS can detect and filter out the two most wide spread technologies used for execution of malicious codes: Buffer Overflow and Code Injection (injects malicious code into another process).

Figure 1. Intrusion Detection — Setting the intrusion prevention module

Buffer Overflow

The Buffer Overflow technology misuses insufficient control of application's input data. Unless size of read data is limited and controlled, an attacker may overwrite return address of the running program and execute their own code. However, this code is executed from the buffer reserved for data. This is then considered as a non-standard behaviour and detected by the HIPS module. Possible attempts on execution of possibly dangerous actions (process execution, file opening, network connection establishing, etc.) are blocked.

Block buffer overflow code execution

This option allows to disable running a code in case of a buffer overflow.

Log attempts to HIPS log

If this option is enabled, all detected intrusions are logged in the HIPS log (see chapter HIPS Log).

Don't show any alerts for this event type

Check this option to disable alert windows for intrusion attempts (see chapter Host Intrusions Alerts).

Use the Exceptions button to specify an executable to which this attack type check will not apply. Before setting an exception, check if the attempt is not a real intrusion.

Code Injection

The Code Injection technology is based on misusing of authorization of another running trustworthy process. The infected application (with corresponding authorization) writes a malicious executable code in the memory space of the process or it connects to the dynamic library of the process. By special calling of the operating system, the code is executed. This way the attacker makes their code being executed using the authorization of the trustworthy process.

The HIPS module detects and blocks execution of codes written by special calling of the operating system to the memory of a trustworthy process. In such cases, functionality of attacked application is usually not interfered.

Block executable code injection

Check this option to block executable code injection.

Log attempts to HIPS log

If this option is enabled, all detected intrusions are logged in the HIPS log (see chapter HIPS Log).

Don't show any alerts for this event type

Check this option to disable alert windows for intrusion attempts (see chapter Host Intrusions Alerts).

The Code injection technology is used by various legitimate applications — these applications will not function correctly. For such cases, Kerio Personal Firewall allows to define exceptions, i.e. list of applications which can use this technology. Exception for an application can be defined in the Code injection exceptions dialog (opened by the Exceptions option) where a relevant executable file can be browsed.

\---- cut here -

Even if VMware would have code which would trigger these firewall protection measures, there would be an alert (popup window) from the firewall. But there is none!

In any case, the firewall service should not be stopping!

Bye,

0 Kudos
geohei
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.

More testing ...

1. I upgraded Sunbelt Personal Firewall from 2.3.268 to 4.5.916 (latest version). The problem with the firewall start/stop is gone, but the very slow start of the system startup remains.

2. I found out only now, that PGP does not only start late, but it also can't find the keyrings. This is also due to the "VMware Authentification Service" being so slow during system startup.

3. Disabling "VMware Authentification Service" (set to Manua") speeds up system startup again to normal speed. The firewall starts fine, PGP finds the keyrings and everything is fine.

Question ... when setting "VMware Authentification Service" to Manual, VMware seems (! - not tested deeply so far) works properly. Can this service safely be set to Manual while working as Administrator on the host machine, or are there other functionalities connected to this service?

Many thanks,

0 Kudos
rsa911
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

>Question ... when setting "VMware Authentification Service" to Manual, >VMware seems (! - not tested deeply so far) works properly. Can this >service safely be set to Manual while working as Administrator on the >host machine, or are there other functionalities connected to this service?

yes the service can remain stopped as long as you always perform vmware operations while logged on as an admin

now you can also modify windows services startup sequence to force the vmware authentication service to start only after your antivirus and pgp services are started

first determine each service name, then open regedit

go to HKLM-SYSTEM-CurrentcontrolSet-Services-VMAuthdService

you will see there's an existing key called "DependOnService"

edit the key value and ADD the two services names you want to be started before vmauthd is started

\** Take a backup of the key before modifiying it

0 Kudos
geohei
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot for the hint with the DependOnService feature of a service. I tried this of course. It seems that the service, which is supposed to wait for another service (in my case, "VMware Authentification Service" waiting for PGP and Sunbelt firewall services), only waits until it is started, and not that it finishes completely. After configuring DependOnService, I noticed that "VMware Authentification Service" waits indeed until both PGP and Sunbelt firwall services show "Started", but nevertheless the same problems occured.

2 workarounds for me.

1. I upgraded the Sunbelt firewall to 4.5.916 and it worked without setting "VMware Authentification Service" to Manual.

2. "VMware Authentification Service" to Manual.

Nevertheless, the system takes still #1 minute more than with "VMware Authentification Service" set to Manual. Somewhat disappointing ;(.

Anyway ... thanks a lot :smileyalert: for you input!

Bye,

0 Kudos
rsa911
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thanks for reporting back, btw did you submit a support request to sunbelt ?

They may be aware of the issue and could have another workaround or at least update their "known problems" list

0 Kudos
geohei
Contributor
Contributor

No, I didn't report this to Sunbelt, since I believe it's more a VMware issue because also PGP generates random issues due to the long lasting VMware Authentification Service start.

Bye,

0 Kudos