VMware Communities
scottostrowski
Contributor
Contributor

syntax error in line 1

WoodyZ, can you look at these log files and repair....I am getting a syntax 1 error when trying to load this VM

0 Kudos
10 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

the attached file was created using log2vmx.exe against vmware.log

0 Kudos
scottostrowski
Contributor
Contributor

What does that mean?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

scottostrowski wrote: WoodyZ, can you look at these log files and repair....I am getting a syntax 1 error when trying to load this VM

The attached "LowesWin7.vmx.zip" file contains a new "LowesWin7.vmx" file created from the supplied vmware.log file.

With VMware Fusion closed unzip (double-click) the attached "LowesWin7.vmx.zip" file and replace the original "LowesWin7.vmx" file with the one here.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

scottostrowski wrote:

What does that mean?

it means that I recreated your corrupt vmx-file by telling log2vmx.exe to extract it from the vmware.log you attached

0 Kudos
scottostrowski
Contributor
Contributor

does that mean it's fixed?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

yes - I thought you were in a hurry ...

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

scottostrowski wrote: does that mean it's fixed?

Just use the one I attached in Re: Mount a .vmdk to a Windows 7 32bit (x86) if it easier so you don't have to rename it.  I didn't use log2vmx.exe because that a Windows executable and I'm on a Mac like you so I used a script I wrote that does the same thing only it also gives the proper name to the .vmx file and zips the attachment along with the automatically customized canned message since I've done this hundreds of times over the years. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
scottostrowski
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks...I am on a MAC putting it back into a WIN7 VM...what was wrong

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

scottostrowski wrote: Thanks...I am on a MAC putting it back into a WIN7 VM...what was wrong

The original was corrupt and only contained "uuid=52-b0-24-8c-ed-28-67-7b-22-4a-2d-b7-6a-72-93-e4 2690 1 X 1335187338665289 lc=2036380310" which is not even a valid line in a good .vmx file.

it is not uncommon to have the .vmx file corrupted and one would have thought that VMware would have made this a lot easier for users since it happens often enough.  That's why users like Ulli and myself, as well as others, have written our own programs to help other users in the forums fix their corrupted .vmx files.  This really could be a Repair .VMX button in the GUI is VMware would just do it! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
scottostrowski
Contributor
Contributor

Awesome...well it worked and got one of our corporate users back up and running...huge save...Thanks!

0 Kudos