VMware Communities
andrew_nuss
Contributor
Contributor

trouble seeing DVD drive correctly

Hi,

I am running under a Windows 32-bit OS, with Athlon 64 dual core, and Optiarc DVD drive. I am trying to find a Linux 64 guest that works and can read and burn cds. I've tried all the supported free linux OS to no avail thus far. VMware notifies sometimes that an ATAPI command is being sent to the cd drive and DMA needs to be installed. So I install VMware tools.

I tried with Centos 4.6 (as clone of RHEL 4) and everything went fine after installation, including VMware tools, as long as I didn't shutdown and restart. After VMware tools was installed, I could see previously created CDs and DVDs. However, if I do a restart, Centos 4.6 shows a failure when loading the "other" filesystems (probably set up by VMware) and I can never again see CD data. They always show as blank CDs on desktop when inserted.

Why should I believe I would have any better luck by purchasing RHEL 4 license?

I'm afraid this is a problem that is showing up because I purchased a brand new computer?

Andy

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

Please attach/post "vmware.log" file from a guest directory on your physical machine.

There is a lot of information that is great for tracing those problems.

0 Kudos
andrew_nuss
Contributor
Contributor

Here's the log.

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

I would first install AMD Optimizer in your Windows host OS.

Then I would try to use different Linux guest OS Type, mabe "Other Linux 2.6.x Kernel 64-bit"?

0 Kudos
andrew_nuss
Contributor
Contributor

I'm wondering why the AMD Optimizer would help with anything other than time? Why would it help with DVD drive?

0 Kudos
andrew_nuss
Contributor
Contributor

Is anyone getting access to DVD-RW drives in guest machines? Are there any tricks other than installing VMware Tools? I had exactly the same problem under Linux host as Windows host.

0 Kudos