VMware Communities
eseeweb
Contributor
Contributor

using vmware player

Hi

We are using VMware workstation now at work to develop and test apps since a month ago.  I have been using virtualbox at home myself and is thinking to switch to VMware.  I have a couple question that need help with:

a) if i download the free VMware player, will be work like a VMware workstation? all i need is a few VM on my pc at home to try things out.  Or i need a VMware player pro.

- the reason is that i try not to pay for that myself as i know it will not be pay by the company i work for.  Or anyone know when they have big sales or discount on their s/w. Smiley Happy

b) looking ahead, I prepared an extra SSD drive with 250G on my PC, right now is empty.  What is the best way to utilizes this drive for VM purpose, should i partition them to 2 separate drive or just use it to host all my VM files there.  Should I install the VM s/w there too or on my C drive

c) next is how to move my vm from virtualbox that is hosted by a Intel base PC to AMD base PC.  I thought that won't work, because one is intel and one is AMD.  not sure if anyone try this.

any suggestion/help here is greatly appreciated.  I was using virtualbox (free) for a while, but seems VM workstation is more user friendly after using for a month or so.

thx, Ted.

0 Kudos
0 Replies