VMware Communities
Chaitanyakumar_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vm properties for a vm in workstation 10

Hi All,

I have some windows machines in vmware workstation 10. When I select any vm and goto properties, it is taking some time to load the properties. I have observed that when I click on properties, hard disk size column is empty and after sometime, it populates the size. Is it something that we can control it?  I mean, can we disable or change any settings in workstation to reduce this time?

Chaitanya.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

That's unusual and I've never experienced something like this myself. What I could think of is that an on access A/V scanner (or similar) scans the files. To find out whether this is the case, temporarily disable it. Btw. you may also consider to exclude "*.vm*" from being scanned.

André

0 Kudos
lakshya32
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

Please share the OS Version and check hardware compatibility

0 Kudos
Chaitanyakumar_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HI

I dont have any AV running on my machine. I have win7 64 bit OS with 8 GB ram, i3 processor. On top of it I installed vmware workstation 10 and created few windows vms. For those vms when I open vm properties, it hangs for some time to get the hard disk size loaded and then after few mins, I will be able to see hard disk size. Then everything will be back to normal.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Not sure what's causing this. What you may try is to start VMware Workstation via right-click and "Run as Administrator" to see whether UAC is involved. If this isn't the case, check CPU and disk usage to find out any processes which require high resources during this time.

André

0 Kudos
Chaitanyakumar_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Andre,

I right clicked on vmware workstation and choose run as administrator. And when workstation is opened, I started a vm and same issue ocurred. I also have logged into administrator account and checked vm properties. It showed the same behaviour. I have changed memory option in vmware preferences. By default it is somewhere 6398(not exactly). I changed it to 7000. Not sure if this is causing the problem. CPU usage is low, but memory is almost 7 GB used out of 8 GB in my physical machine.

Chaitanya.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

7GB used out of 8, that's quite a lot. What's currently consuming the memory? Maybe Process Explorer can help figure out any bottlenecks!?

André

0 Kudos
Chaitanyakumar_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

well, answer is very clear for this high memusage. I have 4 vms running which takes this 7 GB memory(approximately). 2 vms of 1.5 gb, 1 vm 3.5 gb, 1 vm, 512 mb. Overall it takes 7 GB. Have a look at the attachment.

0 Kudos
Chaitanyakumar_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As far as I understood, as this high usage of memory is creating that delay. When I have only one vm opened, hard disk size comes up very quickly. So, I have answer with me.

0 Kudos