VMware Communities
feroz201110141
Contributor
Contributor

vmware networkbridge help

i have some problem in vmware workstation in virtual network editor i  want to configure one Vnetwork(V1) adapter to get internet from my host pc and another one  virtual adapter(V2) directly connect to vmware, i know it ill confusing u here i attached one image  file please checPic.JPGk it.please help me soon as possible im waiting for your  reply

0 Kudos
3 Replies
uy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Without any editing the usual default by installation of VMware Workstation already gave you:

1 Bridge to your primary host ethernet (vmnet0)

1 NAT (network addr translated) (vmnet8)

1 Host-Only (vmnet1)

Unless my host machine have multiple ethernet in the host, I had never needed to use network editor to change. This change affects ALL the virtual machines not just limited to one or few.

In your vm shown, you have 2 virtual network adaptors. You said you need and internal then you set it to HOST ONLY (VMNET1) then one to Internet External then you either set it to BRIDGE or NAT, both will connect you to Internet.

Diff between NAT & BRIDGE is NAT will isolate your vm from LAN printer and file shares, and Bridge will connect your vm to yr LAN pirnters and file shares.

This is the normal and default conditions.

If you massed with your virtual network editor already, you might had changed things quite apart from the default, and unless you post out your current settings here, I am not able to guess what had been changed.

NAT & HOST ONLY have each their own set of LAN address ranges & DHCP. To have things working the way you wanted, TCP/IP setting in ALL the following areas must be checked in order:

1. Your LAN
  2. Your Host PC
  3. Your vm
  4. Your VMware Workstation Virtual Network Editor settings

It is very likely for a user unfamiliar with networking goes around wrongly tweaking the incorrect area in attempt to solve problems and ended up in a mess.

I suggest you do one network at a time, starting with either your INTERNAL or EXTERNAL, Make it work one at a time. Delete both if necessary and add one 1st, get it to work nicely, and then add the other. If you are in doubt, compare with another known working vm to test. If your other vm that originally worked got affected, then it is likely that you messed up #4 from above. If you host PC still goes to Internet then the it tells you some boundary of the problem.

VMNET 0 & 1 & 8 all must be different address ranges. e.g. :

192.168.1.x = VMNET 0

192.168.2.x = VMNET 1

192.168.3.x = VMNET 8

You can can not make them all the same. You can not make it clash with your LAN or one another.

ping will be a handy test. Smiley Wink

u.y.
feroz201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply dude.

i did that what you said its working now perfectly.i have one more doubt.After i install xp in vmware (Ex:Vm3 Enthernet)how to link xp adapter(Vm3) to internal network adapter of ISA server. here i draw one diagram see thisSample.JPG

0 Kudos
uy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Host-Only vmnet does not link to anything beyond the host computer. Only vms in side the same host are linked.

The purpose of it is to have a sort of isolation and security or traffic zoning. Either you are testing virus or simulating attacks within a host, you don't want that to spill outside, or you have something that is needs security / privacy like unencrypted highly sensitive files shared between vms in this host. Or you have big volume net traffice 500MB/s between vms inside, and you don't want to load down your LAN outside this host.

If your host PC have only one NIC, then that is the only NIC your vm can link outside, you can call it externel or LAN whatever, it is 1 single physical link. I have 2 NICs in host, you can add several, I think there is a limit supported by VMware but several can be supported, assigning vmnet 1 to 9 I suppose can not reach 10, unsure.

Any vmnet that is bridged to any physical NIC is linked outside host and via a phsyical ethernet swtich vm can see any computers on the same TCPIP network (must be same net e.g. 192.168.200.xxx netmask 255.255.255.0 all those in the same class C can see each other weather real or virtual computers. You can be more complicated when you had multiple NICs each bridged to different vmnets 5,6,7, for example, they are Isolated with each other by default unless your physical switch or routers linked them physically.

If you searched the vmware.com there is a networking guide that I read years ago, must had been updated now.

u.y.
0 Kudos