VMware Communities
uy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vmware-toolbox Broken in WS 8.0.1 Linux client Linux Host

I used many older versions of workstations on Linux host 64 bit.

My lastest upgrade was from VMware-Workstation-Full-8.0.1-528992.x86_64.bundle

Tested  with 4-5 different linux vm by upgrading their vmware-tools and then it  broke this familiar feature of vmware-toolbox, which when I ran as root  would be able to shrink partitions, set e.g. sync of hardware time  clocks etc.

What it gave was this, and no widget / window will pop up for shrinking partitions etc.

root@kubuntu11:/home/user123# vmware-toolbox
No protocol specified

These includes Kubuntu x86-64 11.10 desktop . In this case the

vmware-toolbox-cmd disk shrink /

still worked.

In some cases like Ubuntu 11.04 x86-64 VM even the

which used to work is now no longer working, and there is no error msg in the console. Just no respond, and returned to prompt.

:smileyangry:

I had been then forced to use vmware-vdiskmanager -k to shrink disks instead.

u.y.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
uy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Opps! My fault!

:smileysilly:

I skipped a reboot in the process, the mistake was I only rebooted once in my exercise of updating VMs. I actually need to reboot twice because I also updated VM's kernels before vmware tools. Thus I should had rebooted once after kernel updates, then update vmware tools. and reboot vm again. My mistake was I combined the 2 updates and did only one reboot. So the modules were not matching with kernels after reboot.

All I did after posting the above msg was I executed vmware-configtools.pl again (as root) and reboot again. The problems are solved.

Smiley Wink:smileyblush:

Excpet in this case of Kubuntu 11.10 vm with kernel 3.0.0-13-generic

root@kubuntu11:/home/user123# vmware-toolbox-cmd disk shrink /
Progress: 100 [===========>]
Disk shrinking complete.
root@kubuntu11:/home/user123# vmware-toolbox
No protocol specified
root@kubuntu11:/home/user123# uname -a
Linux kubuntu11 3.0.0-13-generic #22-Ubuntu SMP Wed Nov 2 13:27:26 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

the bash command

worked

but the vmware-toolbox command failed to oepn the usual widget / window, and reported error msg No protocol specified.

:smileyconfused:

u.y.
0 Kudos