VMware Communities
MatoHP
Contributor
Contributor

vmware workstation; windows xp; dos-application; screen resolution

Hello everybody,

I'm running windows xp sp2 on vmware workstation7 (host win7) with up-to-date vmware tools.

I'm running Borland C++ 3.11 - dos executable - on guest (good old memories Smiley Happy ). Problem is, that running it in fullscreen mode gives me a small resolution (guessing 640x320) eventhough i have 1440x900 set in windows xp.

I know that resolution cannot be set on MS-DOS guest OS due to missing vmware-tools. But this is a different scenario (or so i think).

It does it for all DOS applications (even cmd.exe in full screen).

Pls - is there a way to set the resolution right on dos-applications running on windows xp guest?

Thanks,

Martin

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MatoHP
Contributor
Contributor

i found out one way to deal with this - to set the smaller resolution in winxp .. it's not pretty (16:10 vs 4:3) but definitely does the trick for Borland C++

not the perfect solution, but at least something :smileycool:

0 Kudos
mdunn-vmware
Expert
Expert

When you put a console window (like a DOS prompt) into full screen mode, the resolution is changed to exactly fit the console window's area. You can get more screen space in a DOS prompt by running "mode con lines=50" (or however many lines look good to you).

MatoHP
Contributor
Contributor

hi mdunn,

thanks for the tip - that's a good one. It helps - when i set the lines to 25 i got the `original' full-screen size. It helps for BC too, but i see that screen is lagging - it takes much more to refresh /redraw the screen than the original size.

Right now i'm connecting via rdesktop to the host where workstation is running, hence i can't confirm if that is the NW lag or not (it works ok with the original resolution though).

I will be able to confirm it this tuesday.

thanks!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Try setting your full screen preference to "Stretch Guest".

MatoHP
Contributor
Contributor

ok, finally i was able to check it directly ..

actually, both hints are useful - i can set the lines with mode to 25 in fullscreen and correct them with 'Stretch Guest' screen option to make a perfect fit.

regarding the screen lagging - i'm using inline assembler there and due to my testing ntdvm.exe was still running after BC was closed taking all CPU resources.

so thanks a lot for tips, sure did help Smiley Happy

0 Kudos