VMware Cloud Community
vmorz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can vCenter 5.1 manage ESX4.x and ESXi 5.1 in different clusters?

Hi,
Our current environment:
Five ESX 4 Servers and they are all belong to cluster A
one vCenter 4 Server
We plan to buy another five new ESXi 5.1 Servers and upgrade vCenter Server to 5.1
and we plan to create a new cluster to fully utilize the new features that vSphere 5.1 provides,such as VMFS-5, Storage DRS, etc..
so our future environment would be like this:
Five ESX 4 Servers and they are all belong to cluster A
Five ESX 5.1 Servers and they are all belong to cluster B
one vCenter 5.1 Server
My question is can vCenter 5.1 manage ESX4.x and ESXi 5.1 in different clusters? If yes, any limitation or drawbacks?
OR do I need to have two vCenter servers to manage two clusters?
I read the following articles and still struggling to find clues:
KB 2021193 article:
vCenter Server 5.1 can manage ESX/ESXi 4.x and ESXi 5.0.x hosts in the same cluster with ESXi 5.1 hosts.
Mixing ESX/ESXi in an HA/DRS cluster:
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
asrarguna
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

It is possible with 1 vCenter only. No need to have 2 different vCenter servers for 2 different cluster.

I did the same thing. I had 2 clusters running esxi 4.1 hosts being managed by 1 vcenter 4.1. I upgraded vCenter to 5.1 and then ist cluster to esxi 5.1. So i i too was managing 2 different clusters 5.1 and 4.1 with single vcenter 5.1.

It is backward compatible.

Thanks,

AG

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
asrarguna
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

It is possible with 1 vCenter only. No need to have 2 different vCenter servers for 2 different cluster.

I did the same thing. I had 2 clusters running esxi 4.1 hosts being managed by 1 vcenter 4.1. I upgraded vCenter to 5.1 and then ist cluster to esxi 5.1. So i i too was managing 2 different clusters 5.1 and 4.1 with single vcenter 5.1.

It is backward compatible.

Thanks,

AG

0 Kudos
William22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

yes , you can easily manage this, please let us know if you are facing any challenges while managing or configuring.

"With normal actions you get normal   results."
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As mentioned by the other users, you can have several clusters in a single vCenter Server environment. Just make sure the vCenter Server version you use supports the version/build of your ESX/ESXi hosts (VMware Product Interoperability Matrix)

André

vmorz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi all,

Now I get it!!

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge!!

Thank you again!!

0 Kudos
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I'm doing the same thing in one envrionment - all clusters moved to a new vCenter 5.1 server, with clusters running hosts at version 5.1, 5.0, and 4.1.  Works fine.

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222
0 Kudos