VMware Cloud Community
EnvyYou
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot get vCenter 6.5 installed in VMware Workstation using OVA file

I am testing in a lab environment with the following setup:

I have a Windows 10 PC with 32 GIG of Ram and an I7 CPU. I’m running VMWare Workstation 12 Pro 12.5.7 with a legit copy that I have purchased. I am running on the 10.10.10.0/255 network and I have AD with DNS setup on it. This server has an IP of 10.10.10.10.

I have made DNS Records for my ESXI hosts and VCenter Hosts and I am able to ping and do reverse lookups and I can resolve DNS. I can also resolve DNS from my ESXI hosts.

My issue is I cannot get vCenter installed on workstation anymore. However I have been able to do this in the past. In fact I’ve done it about 15 or so times over the last year. And recently it has stopped working. The only changes I have made is upgrading VMware workstation to 12.5.7.

I am using the OVA that is provided in the vcenter 6.5 ISO. but at the end of the install I will see the console page and it will have the following –

Please visit the following URL to configure the appliance. http://localhost:

Download support bundle from: http://localhost:/appliance/support-bundle

Root password is not set

RPM Installation failed.

The contents of my text file are as follows

guestinfo.cis.deployment.node.type = "embedded"

guestinfo.cis.appliance.net.addr.family = "ipv4"

guestinfo.cis.appliance.net.mode = "static"

guestinfo.cis.appliance.net.pnid = "VcSA.domain.local"

guestinfo.cis.appliance.net.addr = "10.10.10.19"

guestinfo.cis.appliance.net.prefix = "24"

guestinfo.cis.appliance.net.gateway = "10.10.10.1"

guestinfo.cis.appliance.net.dns.servers = "10.10.10.10"

guestinfo.cis.appliance.root.passwd = "Password1"

guestinfo.cis.appliance.ssh.enabled = "True"

guestinfo.cis.deployment.autoconfig = "False"

Please keep in mind this has worked before, and i can also deploy version 6.0 with no issues. It is just 6.5 that i cannot.

EDIT -

I am actually starting to think its bugged with VMWare Workstation 12 Pro 12.5.7. I have tried everything now i even made a small network isolated network with Only AD and the vCenter install and it still fails to install.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
tim_841
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Silly question: can you deploy vSphere hypervisors as guests and then deploy vCenter within the virtual virtual environment? I've heard of that being possible (performance will be terrible though).

I've also heard that 6.5 changed many backend mechanisms which may be why the deploy within OVA to workstation is failing.

0 Kudos
EnvyYou
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have two ESXi hosts installed within VMWare Workstation and i am able to deploy vcenter to one of those esxi hosts using the ISO installer.

As i said before i have had no problems deploying vcenter 6.5 using the OVA using VMware Workstation before upgrading my workstation version.

I would mount the VMware-VCSA-all-6.5.0-4602587ISO file to my and then extract the VMware-vCenter-Server-Appliance-6.5.0.5100-4602587_OVF10 and double click to add it to workstation.

0 Kudos