VMware Cloud Community
mrenf
Contributor
Contributor

ERROR: Unable to connect to the MKS: the operation is not allowed in the current state.

I am getting the error below when trying to connect to a windows XP VM i built running on one of our hosts.  I could connect to the VM after i built it and ran windows updates on it and then 2 weeks went by and i tried to connect to it and now i am getting this error.

I am able to connect to the VM using remote desktop but that is it.  I can restart the OS and uninstall and re install VM Tools.  But i am unable to connect to it from the vsphere client.  i was thinking of shutting down the VM from remote desktop but then if i do that i am unsure how to power it back up.  i checked and made sure i could ping from my vcenter server to the VM and back by FQDN and i can. Any tips or ideas how to resolve this?

2013-06-26.png

9 Replies
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

Hey Mrenf,

Try the following

1. vMotion the VM from one host to another and then check
  2. If that does not work, try taking a vSphere Client session direct to the ESX host that has the VM and open the console from that host and check
  3. If still does not work, just use RDP and log in to the VM and issue a reboot. Should come back fine post the reboot

Regards

a

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
mrenf
Contributor
Contributor

Cant vmotion cause i don't have HA configured on the cluster and if i reboot it it reboots fine but i can still only access using remote desktop.  So i tried to snapshot the VM and i get the following error "The attempted operation cannot be performed in the current state (Powered off)."

But as you can see in the screen shot Vsphere is showing the VM as being powered on and again i can remote desktop to it.

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

Power down the VM, right click, remove from Inventory, browse datastore, right click on vmx file of the VM and add it back to the host, power it back on and check.

BTW is this VM running on snapshots? If so, commit snapshots first

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
0 Kudos
IQIT
Contributor
Contributor

I had this same problem and vmotioning to another HOST to resolve the issue.

0 Kudos
AgentCK
Contributor
Contributor

2014-11-03 16_05_43-esxvcsa01 - vSphere Client.png

Same Problem with one of our VDP-Appliance. As you can see there are some nice alarms (all acknowledged) and it also affects our two servers for this cluster. The VDP ist accessible over the network via SSH, but there is still no response from the dpn (all commands are hanging). I guess, I've to delete the vdp and deploy a new one.

Sometimes I'm not happy with VMware ... Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
ExpletiveDelete
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Every time this has happened to us, it was due to DNS and routing issues. We resolved by adding the vSphere host names (not the VM host names) to the local HOSTS file and that solved it. something simple to try.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Can you try to close vSphere client connection and start a new session. I hope this will resolve the issue if not then uninstall vSphere client and reboot the system and again install vSphere client. Also if you will shutdown the VM it will power off the VM, you just need to power on the Vm from your client.

Thanks,

Dishank

0 Kudos
AgentCK
Contributor
Contributor

@Dishank: Did you reply to me? In that case I have to tell you that you're too late. I've deleted the vdp appliance and redeployed a new one.

=> Problem solved. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Anji2dudigam
Contributor
Contributor

If you are getting at home lab please add your host (esxi) FQDN to your system host file available at c:Windows/system32/drivers/etc/host.

then you will definitely get result

0 Kudos