VMware Cloud Community
jstockall
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HTML5 Client and secure websockets

The HTML5 console (WebMKS) opens an insecure port back to vCenter to provide the data for the console session. The specific line of code is:

_wmks.wmks("connect", "ws://" + path + "authd?" + authd);

The VMware KB documents how to change the default port from 7331 but does not appear to support secure web sockets with a wss:// protocol. I'm trying to embed the HTML5 console viewer in to a custom application which uses HTTPS. This causes a security error in the browser since the Websocket spec states that you can't mix connection types. This is the message from Chrome:

Uncaught SecurityError: Failed to construct 'WebSocket': An insecure WebSocket connection may not be initiated from a page loaded over HTTPS.

Does anyone know if vSphere 5.5 can be configured to listen for secure websocket connections?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jstockall
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In 5.5 u2 the WebMKS port on vCenter is running SSL.

To work around this issue I ran stunnel on the vCenter server and exposed a SSL version of the websocket listener

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jwswizzle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Were you able to get any resolution on this issue? I am also working on a similar issue. Let me know. Thanks

0 Kudos
jstockall
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In 5.5 u2 the WebMKS port on vCenter is running SSL.

To work around this issue I ran stunnel on the vCenter server and exposed a SSL version of the websocket listener

0 Kudos