VMware Cloud Community
WhackyWakie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to install OVA over low bandwidth link between vCenter and ESXi host?

ESXi hosts are connected to a central vCenter via slow WAN shared link (2-3Mbps bandwidth). To install VM from appliance OVA, we transfer the OVA to the site (throttled) with the ESXi hosts, then RDP to a Windows OS system on the local site, ssh into one of the ESXi host, stop vpxa service, restart hostd. 

Then access that ESXi host web interface and install the VM pointing the OVA which was transferred locally.

After installed the VM, restart the vpxa service. 

We also need to stop and restart the vCenter alert of ESXi host being disconnected, which was configured.

Is there another better way?

Thanks,

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
hadjer1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

My prposition:

• Copy the OVA to web server that is on the same site with esxi.
  • Create a content library and chose the storage location as the ESXI local datastore.
  • Upload the OVA file from the web server to the content liberary that you created.
  • Deploy the OVA directly from vCenter as a content library item to the ESXI server.

KODU if you find my answer useful or mark as solution if your problem is solved.

0 Kudos
WhackyWakie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi hadjer, don't think that would work, because the vCenter and the ESXi is over a WAN link with low available bandwidth. Hence the step we used to deploy from the ESXi web console at the local site resolve the issue. But, I asking for a better idea, which don't need to temporarily break the vCenter and ESXi host.

0 Kudos