VMware Cloud Community
dufour
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to update host from vcenter when host needs to be in maintenance mode

Hi, I have a 5.5 host with 3 VMs (2 production servers and 1 vcenter server). Now all documentation I see to update the host from the update manager in vcenter is pretty straight forward. The thing I don't understand is before you can remediate, the esx host needs to be in maintenance mode, which means no VMs up, including the vcenter server which is the only way you can right click on host and choose remediate. Now how can I remediate if the server is in maintenance mode and my vcenter server is down?

I have vsphere client installed on my laptop, version 5.5 but from it, I don't have the option to remediate. How can I upate my esxi 5.5 host?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

With only a single host in place and vCenter Server running as a VM on this host, you cannot use Update Manager. Your options are to either interactively update the host using a CD, or to update/patch the host from the command line using esxcli.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

With only a single host in place and vCenter Server running as a VM on this host, you cannot use Update Manager. Your options are to either interactively update the host using a CD, or to update/patch the host from the command line using esxcli.

André

0 Kudos
crawfordm
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Enable local and remote tech support so you can SSH to the server.  Shut down all the VM's and put the host into maintenance mode.  Upload the patches to a datastore the server can reach.  Then SSH to the server and update it via the CLI.  This article might explain it better - VMware KB: Installing patches on an ESXi 5.x host from the command line

------------------------------------------------------------------ If you found this answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. Thanks, Marc Crawford CCNA, MCSE, MCTS, A+, Net+, Sec +, VCA-WM, VCA-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-NV, VCP-NV, VCP-DCV, VCP, VCAP5-DCA http://gplus.to/marccrawford http://blog.marccrawford.com @uber_tech_geek
0 Kudos
dufour
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the answer.

Regards

0 Kudos