VMware Cloud Community
ctcarp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Join a SSO or create a new SSO

Hello

I am installing Vcenter server 6 on a vm windows server on a new host in my environment. I have an existing vm vcenter v5.5 on an other host that we will be removing. We have upgraded hosts and SAN and retiring old. Should I join SSO to the other vcenter or create a new? The old Vcenter 5.5 will no longer be used after migration. So I am unsure if the slave will become the master after removal. Or since in doubt, create a new and have that run on its own and recreate permissions.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
vHaridas
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Please see below KB for vCenter 6 Installation best practices.

VMware KB: vCenter Server 6.0 installation Best Practices

You need to use vCenter 6 and Platform Services Controller which includes SSO, VMCA....etc.

You can also consider upgrading vCenter 5.5 to 6 unless you want to start everything new.

Please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks....!!! https://vprhlabs.blogspot.in/
0 Kudos
ctcarp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I installed vcenter server 6 on a new server to get a clean up to date install. However I am not able to see the vcenter 5.x cluster in vcenter 6 however I am able to see the cluster from vcenter 5. I cannot see vms but the cluster is there. How am I able to see the cluster and hosts from 6.x to 5.x? My goal is to move the vms from one host (5.x) to the other updated/new hosts (6.x).

0 Kudos
Kauy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Have you migrated the hosts to the new vCenter 6? In order to that properly, please take a look at this KB.

Kauy Souza
ctcarp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Kauy I will review the article. That is essentially what I want to do however, I would like to migrate the vms to new hosts. I am retiring the older hosts.

0 Kudos
Kauy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If that is the case, vSphere 5.5 does not support vMotion between vCenters. You'll have to add all hosts to a single vCenter to move VMs between hosts (The vCenter 6.0 supports both ESXi versions).

There are some requirements to migrate the VMs powered on. This and this articles describe what is necessary to vmotion the VMs. In case there a CPU incompatibility you might also consider cold migration as an option.

Kauy Souza
ctcarp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I havent licensed my vcenter6 as of yet. Would this be a reason I am unable to see the other hosts in the network? I dont know if there are limitations licensed vs unlicensed?

0 Kudos
Kauy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Is your vCenter still in evaluation mode? Or has it already expired? In evaluation mode you should be able to visualize once you added the hosts to the new vCenter.

Kauy Souza
0 Kudos
ctcarp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes its still in eval mode. I am unable to see the other datacenter in VC6 in VC5 I can see the new datacenter. I dont know why. My thoughts are if i can see the other data center and hosts I could migrate to the new datacenter?

I dont see beyond the datacenter (no hosts) on VC5

0 Kudos
ctcarp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

sorry I meant cluster not datacenter.

0 Kudos