VMware Cloud Community
VIRTUALFLARE1
Contributor
Contributor

Perennial reservations lost post vCenter 6.7 to 7 Upgrade

Hi Admins,

I noticed a strange issue after upgrading our vCenter server 6.7 to the new family vCenter Server 7.0.

The perennial reservations which were set on the Physical RDMs were lost after the vcenter upgrade and I had to manually set the perennial reservation flags on all the RDMs again. 

When I spoke to the VMware technical support, even they said they never came across this issue but we being customers faced this issue and the impact was noticed when the hypervisor upgrade was done.  (There are more than 50 hosts).

Is this a known issue or a bug in the new vCenter server version ? 

Any insights are highly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
LandStmk
Contributor
Contributor

we had the same bug back then when we upgraded from 6.7 to 7.0. VMware support case could not resolve the issue.
Furthermore we even had the issue, that after reassigning the perenially reserved flag for the RDM disk under vcenter 7.0 they were gone again after two reboots of the ESXi Hosts. After the first reboot they were still assigned, but after another second reboot they were suddenly gone again. I would recommend checking, if the same is true for you.

In case you have the same issue we got the following tip from vmware support (i would still recommend to countercheck with support before implementing it):

"Please open SSH session in affected host add the perennially reserved to be true in this file " /etc/rc.local.d/local.sh " so that every time the host reboots it can see and make sure that the perennially reserved is set to true. "

best regards
Alex

0 Kudos