VMware Cloud Community
PGinhoux
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Question on the Stage 2 - Set up a new vCSA 7.0 process

Hi,

Running VMware 6.5, I'm considering to create a new vCSA in verssion 7.0 on ESXi 6.5 before to do a full upgrade to 7.0.

At the second step, I have to choose between :

• Create a new Single Sign-On domain
  • Join an existing vCenter Single Sign-On domain

For the second choice, the documentation tells :

When you select to join an existing vCenter Single Sign-On domain, you enable the Enhanced Linked Mode feature. The infrastructure data is replicated with the joined vCenter Single Sign-On server.

All the configuration of the current DC is replicated on the new vCSA 7.0 .

My concern is to know what the risks are ? And if there is a problem, how to remove this new vCSA instance ?

Any comments are welcome.

Regards.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi Patrick,

Well, option "two" is used to link more the one vCenter object in a homogeneous context (same version of the vCenter objects) and under a common SSO domain when or due to the particular size or management needs, a single vCenter object is not sufficient (or advisable). Whoever has (many) good reason to do something like this is a person with more than enough experience not to have any need to ask others how to do it.

The point of the talk is that you don't link multiple vCenter objects of different version as an alternative way to "upgrade from one version to another" or "get familiar with a different version than the one currently in use". That is not the purpose for which the functionality called ELM was conceived, at least that AFAIK I can tell you.

Deploying a vCenter object and a couple of ESXi hosts in a "nested" environment doesn't take more than a couple of hours and allows you to acquire some experience without risking compromising the proper functioning "of something that works as it is".

It's just my personal opinion, I can't (and don't want to) go further because only you know your IT context.

Regards,
Ferdinando

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

Excuse me, explain yourself better, if you already have a properly functioning vCenter object, isn't it (maybe) easier to upgrade to the most recent version, using all the necessary precautions?

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
PGinhoux
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Fernando,

I could upgrade the current instance of my vCenter, but at the moment I don't have yet a VMware 7.0 license.

That's why I just want to create a new vCenter 7.0 to "play" and then preserve to current one. 

Regards

Patrick

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi Patrick,

In my opinion, it's not worth complicating your life by linking two so different vCenter objects assuming that the first one (in version 6.5) is destined to be decommissioned, if you have resources available I would install the most recent ESXi version in a "nested" context then the corresponding version of the vCenter object with which to practice both.

It may seem strange to you, but my so-called "homelab" is built around a nested type environment and uses commercial licenses, instead what should be my real "homelab" (for licensing compliance) runs with the licenses available through the program "VMUG advantage".

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
PGinhoux
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Fernando,

I had already started to create the new 7.0 instance then completed Stage 1. My questions then were related to this stage 2 of the configuration.

To build a 'nested' context is an interesting solution, but it's maybe time consuming for me at the moment.

So I'd preferred to continue my currrent plan to have a second vCA running 7.0. Then once I will have the real licenses, I would only to install them, and remove the 6.5 vCSA.

So my question are still the same.

Regards

Patrick

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

So, if you have already decided what your action plan is (legitimately) then the answer to your question is implicit, as are the consequences and possible risks it's your job not mine. You don't have time to waste, fine I won't discuss it, well at this point neither do I.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
PGinhoux
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Ferdinando,

I apologize if i created some confusion in what I said. I just tell that I do not have enough time right now to work on a nested config but I could look at this later for sure.

I was looking for information on Step 2 configuration option.

Regards

Patrick.

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi Patrick,

Well, option "two" is used to link more the one vCenter object in a homogeneous context (same version of the vCenter objects) and under a common SSO domain when or due to the particular size or management needs, a single vCenter object is not sufficient (or advisable). Whoever has (many) good reason to do something like this is a person with more than enough experience not to have any need to ask others how to do it.

The point of the talk is that you don't link multiple vCenter objects of different version as an alternative way to "upgrade from one version to another" or "get familiar with a different version than the one currently in use". That is not the purpose for which the functionality called ELM was conceived, at least that AFAIK I can tell you.

Deploying a vCenter object and a couple of ESXi hosts in a "nested" environment doesn't take more than a couple of hours and allows you to acquire some experience without risking compromising the proper functioning "of something that works as it is".

It's just my personal opinion, I can't (and don't want to) go further because only you know your IT context.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
PGinhoux
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Ferdinando,

Thank you so much for the time you spent on this subject and your patience with me. 

From your last comments, I can say that the way I started with 7.0 is not appropriate with the respect to the VMware concepts.

Your suggestion to work on a "nested" environment seems more in line with what I want to do right now with 7.0. I will have a look at this more in detail now.

Regards.

Patrick

0 Kudos