VMware Cloud Community
irigoyen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SFTP Server for vCenter File Based Backup

Is somebody using SolarWinds SCP Server for vCenter file based Backup with SFTP protocol?

I'm unable to get it working.  I get always following error: "Failed to create backup directory on backup server."

For others solutions is the SFTP Server working without any issue!

What server application do you use for SFTP?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
maksym007
Expert
Expert

Which vCenter version do you have? 

Check that article: 

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/85966 

0 Kudos
irigoyen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm using Version 7.0.3.01200, the latest one.

0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert

Do you have a screenshot from backup config? 

Maybe you are trying with Doamin DFS?

0 Kudos
irigoyen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There is no very much to configure on the GUI.

Backup location, user name and password.

The same with hostname or IP Address....

image.png

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Just out of curiosity, did you check the permissions for your user "SFTP User Name", I mean that it has the permissions to create both the folder that you specified in the settings (if it doesn't exist, the backup procedure creates it) and thus all the other underlying folders that the procedure creates and uses in complete autonomy. Then you should consult the logs, even those of your SFTP server, they may contain an explanation for your specific problem.

You can also omit specifying the port number, this is implied by specifying sftp://........

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
irigoyen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Ferdinando,

If, from a SSH Session from the vCenter I connect to the SFTP Server, I can create the folders on the folder structure. So the permissions should be fine.

The logs doesn't give me more details about the failure.

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hi,

At this point, I'd run a backup keeping SSH out of the way, simple FTP to see what happens.
Then it is not negligible what is the version and build of the vCenter object you use, some of them had documented problems.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
irigoyen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

irigoyen_0-1677156095716.png

0 Kudos
compdigit44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does the target location have any spaces in its name that require quotes? So does the pwd have any special characters?

0 Kudos
irigoyen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I could manage the backup, installing a SFTP Server on a Linux Machine.

I suppose the problem is not the SFTP product itself, rather a compatibility between vCenter and a SFTP server running on Windows.

0 Kudos
Gvaladez53
Contributor
Contributor

So you never got it reolved & working ? I am running into the same problem with the Solar Winds SFTP server software when trying to backup my 3 vcenters the onyl one I got to work was version 8.0. I can use WINSCP to connect to the SFT server create folders etc even when  I ssh to it. Too wierd I wanted to use a windows based stfp software any other suggestions? 

0 Kudos
Gvaladez53
Contributor
Contributor

So you never got it resolved & working ? I am running into the same problem with the Solar Winds SFTP server software when trying to backup my 3 vcenters the onyl one I got to work was version 8.0. I can use WINSCP to connect to the SFT server create folders etc even when I ssh to it. Too weird. I wanted to use a window based stfp software any other suggestions? 

0 Kudos
pmichelli
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I backup both my vCenter using SFTP. I built a SFTP server on Ubuntu 20 and configured the VCSA to write to it. If you're still interested in getting this working, let me know and I can share all the steps to make this work

0 Kudos
irigoyen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Gvaladez53,

No. With vCenter 7.x you cannot use a Windows OS as a SFTP target. It's not working.

0 Kudos
victorsidepath
Contributor
Contributor

Installing OpenSSH on Windows may work. This can be done with Window GUI or PowerShell.
Don't forget to modify the Windows Firewall rules to allow SSH/SFTP.
You can use a tool like WinSCP to verify if the SFTP file share is working.

0 Kudos