VMware Cloud Community
kgmartin
Contributor
Contributor

Trigger an alert whenever a host reconnects

I have a host that disconnects periodically due to WAN congestion issues.  I've increased heartbeat timeout values to try to alleviate the message as I know that the host isn't actually failing, it's just vcenter temporarily loses communications with it.  Still the host disconnects and triggers the alarm.

The alarm sends an email alert, so that part works.  What I'd like to have working is for the system to send an email alert once the host has reconnected.

I've tried setting the alarm actions with the red to yellow and yellow to green, but that doesn't work.  I believe that's because the trigger states are just "Host connection state is equal to Not responding" and "host power state is not equal to Standby". There is no trigger that is firing for the critical to warning to Normal state.

I tried creating a custom alarm for both a host and the datacenter, see example attached.  However, neither this one set for Datacenter nor the one I tried set for Host worked.

Does anyone have any idea how to do this, how to get an alert to trigger and send an email whenever things are good and vcenter has re-established communications with the host?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mhampto
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Not answering the direct question, though have you adjusted the SSL timeout as well? Alarms about the host connection state changing from green to red frequently occur (1020210) | VMwar...

0 Kudos