VMware Cloud Community
bghanson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Updating VMware Tools

I have 5 VM host running ESXi Enterprise in a cluster. Managed by a vCenter server Ver.6.0.0 Build 2559268.  The hosts are running ESXi 6.0.0 two on build 2809209, one on build 3380124, and two on build 3620759.  As the guests move between hosts we get the message that the VMware tools are out of date.  My question is do I need to update all of the host to same (3620759) build then update the VMware tools.  Or is there a place in vCenter where I can store and access the most current version of VM Tools to update them on my guests.  Is there a KB article on how to do this?  Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dmeyner22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ideally you want to update your Host to the same build/latest build, but you are not going to lose any functionality because tools is out of date and running a previous version.  I would move my VMs around and evacuate the next host and update it's build and then Update tools.

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This should not be any issue since esxi is 6, it will give warning. Move VMs one by one to the host having latest esxi build and update tools on it.

0 Kudos