VMware Cloud Community
Jim_Ye
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade VCSA 8.0.0c to 8.01 or new install 8.01 failed

I tried upgraded my 8.0.0 VC to 8.0.1, but failed while coverting old data.   Seems WCP service failed start. 

I also did a fresh install of 8.0.1, failed at same phase and WCP Service failed start too.

After some research, I did a fresh install using default sso domain vsphere.local and successed.  I also ugpraded successfully after I migrate my old VC sso to vsphere.local. 

Anyone meet same issue?  Does vSphere 801 must use sso domain vsphere.local?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hi,

A little difficult to give you a concrete answer to your specific problem, but what I can tell you is that there is no obligation to use vsphere.local as "SSO domain", from a fresh deploy that I performed a few minutes ago I used "vc-test.lab".

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@Jim_Ye,

If you tried a new installation and it also failed to start it could be a bug, there is no dependency for using vsphere.local as a must, not even in vSphere 8.

It could be possible anyways that failed for another reason, you could check on /var/log/vmware/wcp/wcpsvc.log why it failed to start.

0 Kudos
Jim_Ye
Contributor
Contributor

You use vSphere 801 (21560480)?

0 Kudos
Jim_Ye
Contributor
Contributor

Just an re-retry: I got success too with sso domain "vc-test.lab", but failed with sso domain "vc-Test.LAB".. So seems vSphere 8 cannot accept upper case letters for sso domain name?

Jim_Ye_0-1683592972070.png

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Comment removed...

Jim_Ye
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Ferdinando

Maybe that is the reason. but I didn't see any formal document from VMware we cannot use mix Upper-lowercase Characters as SSO domain Name . And I use my domain name "virCorp.NET" since vspehre 6.7 and works well so far. Not sure if there are any change to vSphere 801. 

I raised support case to VMware to check. 

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Comment removed...

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Interesting, however, going without capital letters would be the best, because linux is case sensitive and some integrations, for example with certificates, if you do not use non-capital letters, you could have issues replacing the certificate and mismatches from the SSL endpoints inside vCenter.

Is a common issue across many different customers.

0 Kudos
Jim_Ye
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Confirmed it is a know issue.

• Upgrades to vCenter Server 8.0 Update 1 fail with an error Exception occurred in postInstallHook

If a vCenter Single Sign-On domain contains a capitalization such as administrator@vSphere.Local or administrator@VSPHERE.LOCAL, upgrades to vCenter Server 8.0 Update 1 might fail with the error Exception occurred in postInstallHook.

In the vSphere Client, you see an error such as wcp service failed to start.

In the PatchRunner.log, you see an error such as An error occurred while starting service 'wcp'.

In the wcpsvc.log, you see the following errors: Failed to parse VC JWKS: invalid character '<' looking for beginning of value or Unable to get VC public key configuration : invalid character '<' looking for beginning of value.

After such failure, you must restore vCenter from a backup or revert from a snapshot.

Jim_Ye
Contributor
Contributor

VMware released Workaround 

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/92436

0 Kudos
masoomihaniyeh4
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone 

I have the same problem and then when  I change my browser to CHROME my problem solved.that’s it!😐

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hello,

Do yourself a favor, deploy vCenter version 8.0U1c, it will save you some hassle.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos