VMware Cloud Community
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert

VCSA 7.0 U3 Broken

Anyone else annoyed with VCSA 7.0 U3 (7.0.3) and the growing list of "things that are broke"? 

First, Lifecycle Manager requiring a SSO account to work. 

Second, the redesign making things difficult to find (missing top bar). 

Third, good luck finding where to add columns to the display. 

Fourth, everytime you right click on a single object, the "Items Selected" counter increments regardless of how many objects are actually selected.

I've confirmed all four of these are reproducable across vCenter installs and are "Known Issues".

0 Kudos
22 Replies
kgmartin
Contributor
Contributor

Agreed on all points.

I have another, wondering if anyone else sees it.  When I login to vCenter using domain\user or just user since the domain is the default identity source, and password, I get invalid credentials.  If I check the box to use the session credentials, which will use the same credentials I just tried, I get right in.

Maybe this is a new feature that I just missed, unsure.  Is anyone else seeing this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
mbartle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

They released vCenter 7.0.3a last week that addresses the Lifecycle Manager issue

0 Kudos
Didi7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok, I just did an upgrade to vCenter 7.0.3.00000 last friday and today to 7.0.3.00100 (former 7.0.2.00400) but since that upgrade, I am unable to extend disk sizes of VMs, no matter what VM I choose and no matter what type of disk (thin or thick).

As soon as I click 'Edit settings' and try to change the value of the disk size, input is blocked. Selecting a disk results in an empty overview (no disk information available) and a disk size of 0GB.

So vCenter is now out of order regarding this feature and disks must be extended through the ESXi host client instead 😡

0 Kudos
johnmcc22
Contributor
Contributor

We had just recently upgraded to 7.02d, looked at 7.03 and figured we'd hold off for awhile, beginning to think that was a good decision.

0 Kudos
Didi7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Wise decision!

0 Kudos
dgrove12
Contributor
Contributor

U3a makes things worse.  HA is not functional post-update, and LCM cluster scans have unknown results.  Apparently it's related to an intel i40enu nic driver.  I'm sick of chasing these issues.

0 Kudos
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert

So really they fixed the LCM issue so we don't have to use a SSO account, but several other things are broke.  Does anyone remember such a poo set of updates come out of VMware before in vSphere?  I sure don't, so please, UI folks, get your act together and do some quality control before releasing another update, and honestly, I would even say pull the entire 7.0.3 update line off, it's nothing but problems that some of us are stuck with.

Tibmeister
Expert
Expert

Anyone else notice that MS Edge also doesn't work with vSphere UI?  Mine just goes into this Refresh loop, there the circle arrow refresh button will spin, return to arrow, spin, return to arrow, etc, forever and no page content is loaded.

0 Kudos
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert

0 Kudos
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert

Oh yeah, almost forgot, add the inability to use SMB for VCSA backups.  What a joke.

Podgorny
Contributor
Contributor

7U3 is an utterly piece of beta garbage that broke a lot more than it fixed or added in features. In a process of rolling everything back. Done with ESXi hosts, now need to downgrade a vCenter itself.

They are calling it a "Biggest update ever", I call it a "Biggest **bleep** up ever" (Windows Me / Vista) style.

BlueFalls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This work around only fixes the update not the remediation.

I ended up doing a fresh install of U3 so I don't have this issue of the intel enu/ens renaming and my remediation is still a mess that doesn't work at all.

Though this is very useful for those that want to upgrade.

0 Kudos
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert

I've considered downgrading, but what a mess that would be at this point!  I have vSAN deployed mainly in 2-Node clusters, so you can imagine how impossible that would be!

BlueFalls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was going to as well, but the thought of having to manually re configure all my ESXi nodes cause I can't export a newer config and import it into the last version really causes issues.  I'm going to start a backup repo that keeps every version of ESXi backup in it.  Thanks VMware this is the extra work I needed 😕

0 Kudos
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert

For your reading pleasure

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/86398

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/86287

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/86281

I will be rebuilding all of my hosts to ESXi 7.0 Update 2d, what a pain that will be.  Thankfully, we aren't production with vSAN and I can move the VMs around and rebuild the cluster, but that's a ton of extra work.  As for vCenter itself, well, I'm on the fence of staying with vCenter 7 Update 3a or building a new vCenter on 7 Update 2d.  Fun part was as part of an SR with VMware I was in the middle of upgrading vCenter to 7 Update 3b and ESXi 7 Update 3b when they pulled things, so my hosts couldn't get fdm installed for ESXi 7 U3b, which caused some fun there since it was imaged based vLCM, again at VMware Support's suggestion.

This is, in my long memory of VMware (20+ years) the worst pile of trash to come out from them.  I hope they get their act together, get good QA, and again release quality and trust worthy products.

0 Kudos
BlueFalls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Man this makes it all worse honestly.  How can I downgrade vcenter when I haven't been able to do backups since SMB is broken in, and now it won't get updates even when there is one cause they removed it?!?!

I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to downgrade to get into a usable state again.  And I can't figure out how to do vCenter without a full reinstall.  This is HORRIBLE!!

I just forced it to use https://vapp-updates.vmware.com/vai-catalog/valm/vmw/<uuid>/7.0.3.00100.latest/ I hope this works 😕

0 Kudos
dgrove12
Contributor
Contributor

I hope a patch is coming soon.

0 Kudos
BlueFalls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

this is serious horse dung.  At least they could have provided a tool to convert a backup from esxi 7.0.3 back to 7.0.2 so we dont' need to fully reconfigure the entire thing.

I really hope my vcenter fix works cause that's even worse to reconfigure from scratch on a live env.  So upset, they could have at least put in a redirect for the update URL.  The update was obviously mishandled but now mishandling the pull and making things even worse for us paying a ton of money for this is just horrible.

0 Kudos
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert

Yeah, ended up building a new vCenter on 7.0 U2d and using Advanced Cross vCenter vMotion, and rebuilding all my hosts back to ESXi 7.0 U2c. 

A complete and utter pain in the arse to be honest, but better safe than sorry since I am running a number of 2-Node vSAN clusters in various branch offices I can't get to.  I still have my older ESXi 6.7 hosts that I can use as swing hosts to prevent downtime, but dang this blows.

0 Kudos