VMware Cloud Community
AL14
Contributor
Contributor

VCSA Log Disk space - Threadmonitor.log files safe for deletion?

Hi all,

As the title suggests, I have received a warning in vCenter about log disk exhaustion on the VCSA.

I've used putty to login to the VCSA and removed localhost_access* and catalina*log files (standard stuff to remove). This has freed up some space. However, I have noticed that there are 9 files called 'threadmonitor1.log (1 - 9) in the directory /storage/log/vmware/vsphere-ui/logs directory.

I can't find any information anywhere on what these log files are for and if they can be removed? If they are safe to delete then that would free up almost 1 gig of space on the log partition, but I don't want to delete them and then find out I need them.

So....

Does anyone know what these log files are used for? and can they be safely removed?

Any guidance is welcome.

Thanks.

Alan

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mhb4ever
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can delete these log files if you want to free up disk space. but not recommended ... because these ".log" files are usually the current ones 

0 Kudos
mhb4ever
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
AL14
Contributor
Contributor

Ok thanks for the information. 

So nutshell advice is... Only delete those log files if really necessary.

You mention about the threadmonitor.log files as being the 'current' log files. What exactly do you mean?

Reason for asking is, for example, one of these log files is - threadmonitor9.log, it is 101MB in size and was last written to on the 3rd May 2021.

What kind of information do these threadmonitor.log files hold (I can't seem to find that information anywhere).

I'm just trying to ascertain whether I really need to hold onto these files or not.

What are the implications of me deleting the oldest log file (threadmonitor9.log), will it cause any issues with the functionality of vCenter at all?

Thanks.

0 Kudos