VMware Cloud Community
JMollema
Contributor
Contributor

VCenter backup to NAS Error message

Error in the log is: 

ERROR: Component size command "/etc/vmware/backup/component-scripts/vpxd/vpxd-backup-restore.py --size" failed.
rc: 1, stdout: , stderr:

Seems to be taking my credentials, attaching to the NAS, then can't create directories. Permissions are set properly.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Ricardo42
Contributor
Contributor

Did you resolve your issue? I'm having the same issue and have been speaking with VMware rep but still no resolution from VMware.

0 Kudos
pcgeek2009
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you provide a sample of your configuration? I currently have mine backing up to an Isilon system. It could be in how you have your backup location configured. Here is how mine is set up: "smb://<nasname>/<sharename>/<foldername>

I do different folders for different vCenters. Make sure the slashes are forward as this vCenter is Linux based. 

0 Kudos
Bogdan_Ionut
Contributor
Contributor

The error message indicates that there's no standard output (stdout) and no standard error (stderr). This might suggest that the script is failing before it can even start or that it's unable to write to the error stream. Try running the command manually from the console (if possible) to see if you get any additional output.

Btw. some NAS configurations or security settings might prevent certain actions from remote services or scripts. Ensure there are no such restrictions in place.

0 Kudos
navina
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you please try the below commands, To test vpxd backup

/etc/vmware/backup/component-scripts/vpxd/vpxd-backup-restore.py --startBackup > /var/core/vpxdtest.tar

To validate the size,

/etc/vmware/backup/component-scripts/vpxd/vpxd-backup-restore.py --size

Regards,
Navin A
0 Kudos