VMware Cloud Community
Barnesson
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Operating System Specific Packages (OSPs) repo Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Does anyone know how long it usally takes for VmWare to create .deb files for the OSP repository?

According to the documentation Operating System Specific Packages Home Page | United States

• Ubuntu Linux (LTS releases only) 12.04 and higher

Ubuntu LTS should be supported but there are not any new files yet in http://packages.vmware.com/tools/esx/5.5/repos/index.html for 14.04 LTS

0 Kudos
1 Reply
sanitycheck
Contributor
Contributor

From the OSP main page:

"If the operating system vendor/community provides open-vm-tools, then it is recommended to use open-vm-tools that are provided by vendor/community. VMware will not provide OSPs for operating system where open-vm-tools are available."

So VMware decided to cut off support for Ubuntu's OSP for releases after 12.04 because open-vm-tools is available through the regular Ubuntu repository.  I see open-vm-tools is also available for 12.04 from the Ubuntu repository.

Also, your post quoted the page as saying "Ubuntu Linux (LTS releases only) 12.04 and higher" but I see they changed the wording to "8.04 to 12.04."  I'd been regularly watching that page for updates but only just now noticed the difference.  It's not clear when they changed it.  I'm glad you quoted that line in your original post, so I know I hadn't been misreading the page all this time.

0 Kudos