VMware Cloud Community
ZevX
Contributor
Contributor

move vm cross_vCenter

I am using vcenter ( windows server ) 6.7.2 and ESXi servers are running on version 6.7.0. I have 2 clusters and 2 clusters are running under this center. It is installed on the existing vcenter windows server and the database runs on oracle in a separate virtual server. we bought new physical servers.

We will install vcenter latest version 7 and ESXi latest version 7 to the new infrastructure. and we want to migrate virtual machines to the new infrastructure.
also, old server and new server CPU families are different.

Can I use the cross to migrate virtual servers to the new infrastructure and what should I consider first? Can someone who has done this before share their experience? I found a tool called Cross vCenter Workload Migration Utility on the VMware flings page. Can I switch with this tool?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
D_G_Tal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

if both infrastructure have same Storage you can shutdown VM and remove it from repository and in new infrastructure register VM.

you can do this with some backup tools like Veeam backup too .

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ZevX
Contributor
Contributor

both infrastructure have not same Storage. in the new structure, all products will be different

Can I do this with the Cross vCenter Workload Migration Utility tool?

0 Kudos
pmichelli
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

vCenter 7 (maybe 6.7) has built in Cross vCenter migration already. When you select migrate it should be the last option. You don't need the fling

0 Kudos
ZevX
Contributor
Contributor

In vCenter 6.7, I don't see any vCenter crossover option on virtual machines. I do not see such a feature. Also ESXi versions 6.7. and what could be the reason? That's why I asked.

0 Kudos
ZevX
Contributor
Contributor

does anyone have experience with this?

0 Kudos
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander

There are multiple ways to move VMs from one set up to another

1. You can use vcenter standalone converter and perform V2V migration, this tools was discontinued so you cannot find in vmware downloads page, However you can search in some third party websites to see if it is available to download.

2. You can add the old ESXi node to new vCenter server and do the VM migration within the vCenter.

3. You can export each VM as OVF and import the OVF in new setup. 

4. If you have any storage box, create a lun and attach it to both old and new setup ESXi nodes, create a shared datastore. Move the VMs to this shared datastore and switch the VMs to new ESXi nodes then move it to desired storage.

5. You can also use the fling which you have mentioned but I would recommend to migrate a test VM and ensure it is working fine.

Some of these steps would need VM downtime.  

Regards,

Suresh

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
ZevX
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot for your answers.

I am using vcenter 6.7, but when I try move virtual machines, vcenter cross option does not appear our system. I couldn't find why this option is not visible. Also, can I use vcenter croos export option on newly installed vcenter 7 infrastructure and migrate virtual machines to new infrastructure? the new infrastructure has not been established yet, maybe we can get vxrail. I'm looking for porting ways before and I want to do it with cross vmotion.

0 Kudos
pmichelli
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you want cross vCenter migration, why not upgrade your vCenter(s) to 7.x ? 6.7 is going to be end of support soon, so you'll really not have many choices.  Otherwise your options are listed by others above.

0 Kudos
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander

Cross vcenter migration not available in version 6.x.

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos