VMware Cloud Community
cb122
Contributor
Contributor

patch status per host and vcenter

I dont have access to a vcenter but I was made aware that you can view missing critical security patches per host from the update manager feature in vcenter. Can you give me a beginners guide how an admin could do us a single report to list all missing security patches per host? Can this be acheived? Also are there security patches for the vcenter product itself, if so how can you see any missing vcenter patches? Its hard for me to ask the admin to get us a list with having access to vcenter, so any supplementary screenshots would be great.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DCSpooner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

well first when you open vSphere Client you have to have the update manager plugin installed first, v5.1 and previous for 5.5 I am not sure (web interface now)

the you can go to the host and there will be an update tab just click on that and do a scan if you have update it will let you know that the host is not in compliance and you can click on  patch details. from there you will see what patches. you can also do the same process on the whole cluster.

if you are wanting a report you could possibly get it out of SQL server, but don't do any update to the database it self only pull data.

as for vCenter update VMware puts out update packages and you have to manually apply them. 

0 Kudos