VMware Cloud Community
mfraioli
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Storage Datastore Advice Needed

We have a brand new dell server with VMware ESXI 8.0 with 20tb of storage in RAID 5. We are replacing our old server.

What is best practice to creating datastores?

We are adding a VMs for domain controller, application server, and file server. Should all 3 be on separate datastores?

Or should we just create 1 datastore with all VMs on it?

TIA

0 Kudos
2 Replies
svaghani1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

whether to create separate datastores for each VM or a single datastore for all, it depends on your specific needs and constraints. Here are a few considerations:

1. Performance: If your VMs have different I/O requirements, it might be beneficial to separate them onto different datastores. This way, a high I/O VM won't impact the performance of a low I/O VM.

2. Management: Having separate datastores can make management easier. You can more easily track the storage usage of each VM, and it can simplify backup and recovery processes.

3. Availability: If a datastore fails, only the VMs on that datastore are affected. So, spreading your VMs across multiple datastores can increase availability.

However, managing multiple datastores can be more complex and might lead to inefficient use of storage if not carefully managed. If your VMs have similar I/O requirements and you don't expect to need to manage them separately, a single datastore could be simpler and more efficient.

0 Kudos
BarryGrowler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Deciding on datastores for your new VMware ESXi 8.0 server with 20TB RAID 5 storage involves balancing performance, management ease, and availability. If your VMs, like a domain controller, application server, and file server, have varying I/O demands, consider separate datastores to prevent one VM from affecting another's performance. Separate datastores also simplify management and enhance fault tolerance by isolating VMs. However, if your VMs have similar needs and simplicity is key, a single datastore might suffice, streamlining operations. Choose based on your VMs' requirements and your preference for simplicity versus granularity in management.

0 Kudos