VMware Cloud Community
Windy11
Contributor
Contributor

Restoring a vCloud VM with VMware Data Recovery

Hi all,

I decided to play with VMware Data Recovery 2.0 in vCloud and backups are no problems. However, restoring a VM, I get 'inconsistent state' when trying to powering it on through vCloud Director.  There are no problems when the VM is powered on throuh vCenter, but vCD still displays 'inconsistent state' with the restored VM.

Any ideas?

Our system;

vCD 1.5.0-464915.

vCenter 5.0.0-456005

ESXi 5.0.0-469512

VDR 2.0.0.1861-433157

0 Kudos
1 Reply
peterdabr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

As far as I remember VDR 2.0 is not compatible with vCD 1.5. VDR does not communicate with vCD cells and as such vCD is not aware of the restore.

VDR communicates only with vCenter and any metadata information that is usually 'attached' to vCD-based  vapps/vms is not there once restored from VDR happens. That's why you can power it on only in vCenter.

The workaround for this is to restore it in vCenter and use 'Import from vSphere' to copy VM back into vApp. Also, unless you restore VM to a different location, I'm guessing that vCD will not be able to import it from vSphere. Prior to importing, remove inconsistent VM from vApp. One import is complete, you'll probably also need to correct VM networking.

Cheers,

PD

0 Kudos