VMware Cloud Community
WillL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ifcfg-eth0.bak, bug?

Hi,

The RedHat linux VM created from vApp template, has a file of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.bak which is considered as an actual interface, I suspect it's backed up by VCD, so a potential bug?

Thanks,

William

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Potentially, but it could also be due to how the network interfaces are configured.

If the device name is being mapped to the MAC address (hwaddr) on the NIC and you clone/customize it, you'll potentially end up with a new MAC and Linux will then go autoconfigure a new device based on the new MAC. The easiest way to tell is to check the /etc/sysconfig/ifcfg-eth0 file and confirm it's got a statically assigned address. If so, then it's probably a VCD bug. If eth0 is configured for DHCP (but was static) then it's a Linux configuration problem.

0 Kudos
WillL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In our case, eth0 is static IP, but the .bak file appears to be a temporay backup file, possibly be forgotten to clean up or the process had a hard stop, I might have changed between static and dhcp.

Anyway, I'm creating a template from a clean install, then create a new one from template, see what happens...

0 Kudos
WillL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm creating a template from a clean install (old VM), then create a new VM from template, see what happens...

First time boot, the new VM is assigned with both new IP and old IP from the old VM, no .bak file;

Old VM booted and couldn't get the static IP.

Reboot the new VM, only the new IP is assigned.

Org netwok is simply Direct connection to External Network.

This sounds like a bug to me?

0 Kudos