VMware Cloud Community
Daniel1966
Contributor
Contributor

store vm on differents datastores with vcloud director

Hello,

I know that vcloud director does not permit to store vmdks of a vm on different datastores when creating the vm directly on the vcloud interface

but my question is it is supported by vmware if we apply it manualy by storage vmotion.

the reason is a backup issue, we have too many blocks changes between two backups so we want to store

the swap files in a datastore

the windows vm page files in an other datastore

the system vmdk with configuration files in a third datastores

and all other data vmdks in a forth datastore

we then snapshot the datastores for system and data  for backup

the way we want to apply this is to prepare the vm in vsphere and to apply an import to vcloud at the end

can some one tell if this solution works and if vmware support this type of architecture.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vLarus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes it is supported just make sure you choose source and destination LUNs that belong to the same Provider vDC.

For the swap files you will need to configure that on a ESXi host level.

This could help you script this: http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2012/02/performing-storage-vmotion-in-vcloud.html

vmice.net
0 Kudos
Daniel1966
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for your info

but I am not familiar with the vcloud API and we have version 1.01 of vcloud director

is it supported if I do the storage vmotion from vsphere?

and what about if I create the vm in  vsphere with vmdks on different datastores and import it to vcloud after (using the move option)

in fact are they informations about the vm in the vcloud database which do not allow those actions on vms directly from vsphere?

Daniel

0 Kudos
peterdabr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

As with most of the tasks performed from vSphere on vCD-based VMs, there's always a risk vCD might not be able to "see" changes performed at vSphere level, hence giving unexpected behavior. That's why we get pop-up warning each time VM is modified from vSphere stating that the entity is managed by VCD and it is not recommended to modify it directly.

As stated earlier, if you perform storage vmotion from vsphere between datastores that are available to the same Provider vDC said VM is on, it will work and I don't see a reason why it wouldn't be supported.

If you import VM with move option, it'll still be copied onto one of the datastores available on destination vDC so vmdks layout from vSphere will not be preserved.

Peter D.

0 Kudos