VMware Cloud Community
pkharekofax
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCD 5.1.2 - How can we suspend all running vApps using the API or a command?

I can iterate through a list of deployed vApps, but is there a better way?  We need to suspend all running vApps before kicking off a backup using SAN snapshots.

Is there an internal API doc available, like the one for Lab Manager?

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Here is my understanding ... Straight Suspend does not free the reservations .... Suspend needs to keep the reservations there so you can ensure a resume succeeds. this is just for CPU/MB reservations on the VMs/pools.

Stop will also undeploy, but powers off the VMs ... same as a 'stop' from the UI.

Either of these should be fine for you to perform, since the goal is to power off VMs to take a SAN snap, just that suspend takes that much longer.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

plenty o documents here: http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/developer/forums/vcloudapi

However, I do not recall a mass "suspend" or power off for vCloud Director.

pkharekofax
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for your response, but I was looking for something like Lab Manager 4.0 Internal APIs. LM used to have ManagedServerPerformAction, action 3 for Undeploy all VMs for a host.

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't think that's an option in vCloud Director's website, nor API.

IN Lab Manager undeploy meant something special .. power off and remove from inventory.

vCloud Director doesn't do that, since all VMs should be resident in vCenter's inventory.

The nearest neighbor is the 'redeploy all VMs', but for vCloud, that just enters maintenance mode.

0 Kudos
pkharekofax
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In vApp Workflows under "vApp Power Workflows", there is a Workflow named "Undeploy a vApp" : Stops or suspends a vApp and frees the resources reserved for the vApp.  Do you know what resources are freed if I use it instead of "Suspend a vApp": Suspends a vApp. Does not free the resources reserved for the vApp?  I'm planning to use vCO for the task of suspending all running vApps.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Here is my understanding ... Straight Suspend does not free the reservations .... Suspend needs to keep the reservations there so you can ensure a resume succeeds. this is just for CPU/MB reservations on the VMs/pools.

Stop will also undeploy, but powers off the VMs ... same as a 'stop' from the UI.

Either of these should be fine for you to perform, since the goal is to power off VMs to take a SAN snap, just that suspend takes that much longer.

0 Kudos
pkharekofax
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you.

0 Kudos