VMware Cloud Community
ndizz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vcloud create-backup.sh failing: permission denied

Latest 10.3 appliance (although I noticed this in 10.0 appliance as well)

The backup script in /opt/vmware/appliance/bin/create-backup.sh always fails with permission denied when it executes:

su - postgres -c "$VMWARE_POSTGRES_BIN/pg_dumpall --roles-only | grep -e 'CREATE ROLE vcloud;\|ALTER ROLE vcloud WITH' > $BACKUP_DIR/vcloud-user.sql"

it returns: 

-su: /opt/vmware/vcloud-director/data/transfer/backups/backup-2022-05-06T225645+0000/vcloud-user.sql: Permission denied

this is on NFS but I can normally write there. the postgres user is a member of the vcloud group, and that is the owner of the directories here.

I deployed another vcd appliance in another datacenter and out of the box, same issue. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NBorba05
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The problem is related to the NFS server being a Ubuntu or Debian distro.

According to VMware ubuntu is not fully supported and can cause issues while performing the DB Backup:

Note: When you use Ubuntu or Debian based Linux distributions for the NFS, the creation of database backups might fail.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Cloud-Director/10.3/VMware-Cloud-Director-Install-Configure-Upgrad...

Best solution is to move away from Debian distributions and go for CentOS or any other RHEL based OS.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
NBorba05
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The problem is related to the NFS server being a Ubuntu or Debian distro.

According to VMware ubuntu is not fully supported and can cause issues while performing the DB Backup:

Note: When you use Ubuntu or Debian based Linux distributions for the NFS, the creation of database backups might fail.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Cloud-Director/10.3/VMware-Cloud-Director-Install-Configure-Upgrad...

Best solution is to move away from Debian distributions and go for CentOS or any other RHEL based OS.

ndizz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. Was running Ubuntu server LTS as the NFS. Migrated over to AlmaLinux and it works.

0 Kudos