VMware Cloud Community
miladmeh8
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Assign a VM to specific all-flash diskgroup

Hi Everyone,

I have 3 disk groups per server in my vSAN cluster 1 All Flash and 2 hybrid, I'm just wondering if I can define a tag or policy for some VMs to only use all-flash diskgroups and not hybrid disk groups?

Regards,

Milad

0 Kudos
7 Replies
pcgeek2009
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

There is a KB on creating tag-based placement for VM's per storage policy. 

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.storage.doc/GUID-D025AA68-BF00-4FC2...

0 Kudos
miladmeh8
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I need placement in vSAN 8

0 Kudos
pcgeek2009
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Euuh, vSAN doesn't support mixing diskgroup types. It is either all-flash, or it is hybrid, but cannot be a mix of both.

0 Kudos
pcgeek2009
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

True, but you can have an all-flash pool and then a hybrid that has flash for caching and spinning disk for the bulk of the storage.  As is mentioned in the question, there is 1 all-flash and 2-hybrid pools.

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

"True, but you can have an all-flash pool and then a hybrid that has flash for caching and spinning disk for the bulk of the storage.  As is mentioned in the question, there is 1 all-flash and 2-hybrid pools."

No, vSAN OSA does not use "pools", you are maybe confusing how this might be configured in SANs e.g. have a group of SSDs or a group of HDDs and leverage these as individual entities for specific purposes.

@pcgeek2009 In vSAN OSA each node can have Disk-Groups comprised of either 1x Cache-tier SSD/NVMe + 1-7x Capacity-tier SSD/NVMe/HDD. 

However, for many good reasons, it is not supported to have some Disk-Groups with Capacity-tier being HDDs and others as SSDs.

"I have 3 disk groups per server in my vSAN cluster 1 All Flash and 2 hybrid, I'm just wondering if I can define a tag or policy for some VMs to only use all-flash diskgroups and not hybrid disk groups?"

@miladmeh8 Milad, if this is some test cluster you are using or your own home-lab, then sure it is technically feasible to place data on just the AF disks (though as FTT=0 and thus no redundancy) using a affinity rule pinning the data to just that one node (or DG), if this is anything other than a homelab then don't do this.

0 Kudos
pcgeek2009
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@TheBobkin correct. I misspoke about referencing pools. I have both a 3-tier blade center on a SAN I am working to decommission and a new VSAN stack I am migrating to. Still have not gotten use to referencing them as disk groups. I my case, I have all flash nodes with NVME cache disks. 

0 Kudos