VMware Cloud Community
UnixCommando1
Contributor
Contributor

VSAN with USB on home lab

I'm working to setup a VSAN in my home lab.  According to VSAN documentation I need 1 diskgroup per ESXI host which contains 1 cache device and up to 7 capacity devices.

Since this is a home lab I'm trying to do this with USB.  I have my ESXI servers recognizing the USB devices as candidates for VSAN, but this whole thing about the cache disk leaves me with some questions.  Since the cache is recommended to be a flash device I'm wondering does the cache device have to be the same size as the the capacity device?  I've searched the various documentation and I see nothing about sizing, in fact it seems that you can mix devices with impunity.  Can I use 128G cache devices with 1T capacity devices?  I have 3 ESXi hosts so I'm thinking 1 128G flash with 1 1T disk per host.

Thanks

-Bob

0 Kudos
2 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

No, the cache disk doesn't need to be the same size as the capacity disk.

I do want to point out, even though you may get this working, chances are significant that the performance will be horrible (with your configuration) and you may hit various weird/strange scenarios considering what you are doing is not tested and fully unsupported.

0 Kudos
UnixCommando1
Contributor
Contributor

I understand there could be issues, or performance problems.  This is a home lab, I can't afford a supported configuration and have to work with what I can afford.

0 Kudos