VMware Cloud Community
waxu5001
Contributor
Contributor

in the vSAN cluster , could not create snapshot.

There are currently 0 usuable disks and 1 more usable disks are needed in witness node
0 Kudos
6 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

@waxu5001 ,  You can't create snapshots (or any FTT=1 policy vmdk) because you have a serious issue in your cluster.

I would advise starting with validating in Skyline Health (Cluster > Monitor > vSAN > Skyline Health) that you don't have issues on the Witness e.g. that it isn't isolated from the cluster or that the disks have operation health alert (e.g. disks are PDL or otherwise unusable).

If that is all green then validate from the Witness side the state of the disks and cluster membership e.g. that it is joined to the cluster, it is not in Maintenance Mode and all vSAN disks are present and mounted.

A common cause of Witnesses disks going offline is people taking backup-based snapshots on the Witness VM, this is totally unsupported but usually the disks will remount after power-cycle of the VM (but that being said, I have seen irreparably damage Witnesses and a new one needs to be deployed).

0 Kudos
ezbg
Contributor
Contributor

sounds like your cluster is nor healthy

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
LeoraWisoky
Contributor
Contributor

Can I ask a question?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
BarryGrowler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Your vSAN cluster's inability to create snapshots due to a lack of usable disks in the witness node suggests a critical cluster issue. Before proceeding with snapshots, it's essential to address this underlying problem. Begin by checking Skyline Health for any witness or disk health issues. Ensure the witness node is properly integrated into the cluster, not in maintenance mode, and that all vSAN disks are correctly mounted. If disks have been affected by unsupported operations, like backup snapshots, a power cycle of the witness VM might help. However, if these steps don't resolve the issue, deploying a new witness node could be necessary to restore cluster functionality and enable snapshot creation.

0 Kudos
Sarah_smith6y5t
Contributor
Contributor

I am also facing the same issue while playing the game geometry dash

0 Kudos