VMware Cloud Community
JeremeyWise
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vSAN - Cannot find root FS UUID

vCenter: 8.0.2

esxi: 8.0.1, 21813344

Trying to deploy Tanzu and other K8 deployments which need RWX storage (aka NFS).  Trying to enable file services on vSAN.  I had it working for a while.. but now its showing in error.  I  removed and ..  a few months later now.. back to trying to re-enable.

I choose to deploy file services on four nodes.  Job kicks off:

Error stack:
 Failed to remediate vSAN file service: Failed to remediate file service on hosts ['thor.penguinpages.local', 'medusa.penguinpages.local', 'odin.penguinpages.local', 'varda.penguinpages.local'].

Each server responds with Error:
Task Name
 Install agent
Status
 Completed

Task Name
 Remediate vSAN file service
Status
  • Cannot complete the operation. See the event log for details.
  • Unable to enable the vSAN file service: Cannot find root FS UUID.

I googled around and notes were made about bad image... in vsanDatastore storage   but no such folder.

Not sure what next steps are to remediate

Nerd needing coffee
0 Kudos
2 Replies
itc-mb
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue now in a production environment where the NFS is (well.. was) used for a temporary backup.

also, I'm not sure if I got the explanation from your side completely, but for me the deployment of the file service node for all 8 hosts works without an issue, and even the file service status shows enabled.

However, it throws the same root FS UUID error for us. The vCenter and the ESXi hosts have been upgrade to 8U1 upgrade before the shipment to the customer, where the file service was still working.

0 Kudos
JeremeyWise
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mine does not complete setup of file services

JeremeyWise_0-1700319882617.png

Hoping someone can point me to Shell version of above command where it triggers installation of the service set on each esxi host, and I can then get better logs.

Continual issue with VMWare vSAN is lack of detail in logs to root cause things. 

Nerd needing coffee
0 Kudos