VMware Cloud Community
johnnorris
Contributor
Contributor

vSAN usage shows 4.37TB which is much lower than raw capacity

Hi,

I installed vSAN using the quick start from selecting TCP_MGMT_CLUSTER.     We have 5 ESXI hosts that have 2 x 960G, 3 x 1.6TB SSDs.    During the quick start I thought it showed using 1 x 960G for cache and 3 x 1.6TB for capacity.    I would think the raw capacity would be 24TB.   I'm not sure if it does 2x replication but that would be alot more then the 4.37 it's showing.   Not sure why this is?   I was going to try to redo it but also not sure how to clean out what was done by the quick start.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert

Check the disk groups to make sure you have claimed all the capacity disks.

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

@johnnorris , the datastore capacity looks to be equivalent to what one nodes raw capacity would be here (minus filesystem overhead and/or what it is in TiB vs vendors advertised TB size of disk).

This means that either only 1 node has Disk-Group claimed or your cluster is network partitioned - Quickstart just uses the IP/vmk info provided, I don't think it is aware of whether that network is usable or not.

E.g. you could have usable IPs in same subnet, on vsan-tagged vmk selected BUT these are all attached to a vSwitch with no uplinks attached or connected to switch with ports not configured (e.g. for a configured VLAN).

You can check whether their is a network misconfiguration via:

Cluster > Monitor > vSAN > Skyline Health > retest

If there isn't then check the Disk-Groups via:

Cluster > Configure > vSAN > Disk Management 

0 Kudos