VMware Cloud Community
JamesAspall
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Best way to deploy WSFC with 3 hosts and iSCSI SAN

Hi,

We have an HP MSA 2062 iSCSI SAN which we have connected to several DL380 G10 hosts via 10Gb iSCSI connections.

I'm looking at deploying a Windows Server Failover Cluster within my ESXi cluster, and wanted to see what the best method of presenting the shared storage to the VMs was

Reading the KB here: Microsoft Windows Server Failover Clustering (WSFC) with shared disks on VMware vSphere 7.x: Guideli..., it seems to suggest that clustered VMDKs are only supported with fiber channel.

I am therefore thinking the two potentially supported deployment models available to me, are to have an iSCSI volume mapped to ESXi which I then present as an RDM to the VMs with shared bus, or I add storage network NICs to the VMs, and use Windows iSCSI initiator within the VM to access the storage.

Can anyone advise what would be the best and supported method from Vmwares point of view on ESXi 7?

Thanks

James

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesAspall
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've just gone with RDMs to the iSCSI volumes on the SAN via ESXi iSCSI connections. Seems to validate ok and working as expected.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JamesAspall
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've just gone with RDMs to the iSCSI volumes on the SAN via ESXi iSCSI connections. Seems to validate ok and working as expected.

0 Kudos