VMware Cloud Community
Sanjeeshvk
Contributor
Contributor

CPU usage is 100% on real time performance chart

My ESX host has sufficient free resources (CPU 20% and Memory is 18%) under summary tab, but while looking on the performance chart under monitor, the Usage is 100 % on almost all the logical processor. Is that create any performance issues for there VMs?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
vXav
Expert
Expert

It's hard to tell from the graph you attached.

20% and 18% free is pretty high (80% and 82% usage) so I'm not surprised some of the cores are running close to 100%.

I think you're OK memory wise. You can look in the DRS monitor to see if the CPU demand of your VMs is met (if you have it), they may be just fine.

You can also run esxtop on the host to see if some VMs have high CPU ready % values. Above 10% isn't good.

0 Kudos
Sanjeeshvk
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for replying on reported  issues, but the CPU usage is in summary tab is between 18 to 20 %, so it looks sufficient CPU, From the chart I can see only few logical CPU are with 100% of usage on frequent intervals.

I have 5 VM residing on this host and I have checked the CPU ready value and it between 0.09 and 0.25 % and vary every time.

I have DRS with four host and the CPU behavior is only from this host.

0 Kudos
vXav
Expert
Expert

I see, from your wording I understood that you were talking about about free resources.

If your DRS stats are green your VMs are most likely fine fine. You probably have a VM spiking here and there. You can check in the chart options by CPU usage in MHz and stacked graph per VM.

0 Kudos
Sanjeeshvk
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, the DRS looks green and CPU usage in MHz looks normal. Only the unusual result is from the real time CPU usage % from the performance chart. There I can see the performance for all the logical CPU and from there few of them are having 100% and the graph looks fully coloured.

0 Kudos
vbondzio
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If this is an AMD Zen3 host, it might be: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/85071

If not then it might still be completely normal, if you have many PCPUs the per PCPU chart will look busy. To get a better a more realistic overview, export to CSV / look at stacked area charts.

0 Kudos
Sanjeeshvk
Contributor
Contributor

I am using cisco UCS b200 blade servers, CPU of 2 socket and 14 core.

We have 5 VM running windows 2016 with SQL DB and it is configured with 8 vCPU.

It is configured with 4 sockets and 2 cores, is that causing 100% CPU usage alert on few logical processers.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Are you running 7.02a and boot from SD/USB?

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
Sanjeeshvk
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, We are using 6.7 u3 and Yes... It is booted from USB/SD

0 Kudos