VMware Cloud Community
Bit101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Cannot create VMFS Datastore on newly installed ESX 8 in VMware workstation

It´s a small Lab in VMware workstation

Trying to install vCenter onto one ESXI-host that I created in VMware workstation.

According to what I read, you need to create storage to install vCenter on ESXi 8 host. (Trial licence)

This is what I´m doing in VMware ESXi Host Client:

1. Storage

1.1 +New Datstore

1.1.1 Select device - "No devices with free space" (this is the message)

Can someone with more knowledge than me answer what the problem is.. or if I really must create this

storage to install vCenter?

Really appreciate your answer

Really appreciate your answer.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

The most probable reason is that when you created the virtual machine where you installed ESXi 8.0x you configured a hard drive that was not large enough to hold a "regular datastore". The explanation is written here: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/8.0/vsphere-esxi-installation/GUID-474D003B-C6FB-465D-BC1B...

I advise you to add an additional virtual disk of the size you deem adequate to contain your virtual machines and use it as a datastore.

Regards,
Ferdinando

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

The most probable reason is that when you created the virtual machine where you installed ESXi 8.0x you configured a hard drive that was not large enough to hold a "regular datastore". The explanation is written here: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/8.0/vsphere-esxi-installation/GUID-474D003B-C6FB-465D-BC1B...

I advise you to add an additional virtual disk of the size you deem adequate to contain your virtual machines and use it as a datastore.

Regards,
Ferdinando

Bit101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, I had time to test adding a larger disk and now it seems to work 

0 Kudos